1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many years is too many?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paul7836, Sep 2, 2007.

1. paul7836

Im just wondering. How many years difference is too many? I mean, Like what do i do if i fall in love with a guy thats 6 years older than me.

2. well there really isnt a "limit" per se. I mean look at Hollywood. People date each other with a 20 year age difference. You just have to be careful with people who have a big age difference, make sure they can be trusted.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The limit is whatever you and your partner feel comfortable with (as long as it's legal).

As you get older a specific age difference doesn't feel as big, so I think older people might accept a somewhat wider age difference than younger people. For example if you are 17, and someone 10 years older (27) would probably seem too old (10 years younger is obviously way too young). However to me at 43, 10 years either way is fine. 20 years would be going a bit far for me though...

Our new neighbours are a man in his early 60s and a lady in her early 40s. They have been together for about 10 years, so quite wide age-gaps can work.

As Derek says though, when you are young you need to be very cautious of older potential partners. In your teens and early 20s I would suggest keeping it to within a few years.

4. Vampyrecat

My daddy is 60 and my mummy is 43. 17 year age gap.

5. CrimsonThunder

Then be in love. =P love has no age limits.

6. paul7836

Thanks Crimson.

Well. I guess i owe an explanation. I guess im in love? (is it love) with a 20 year old. I don't know how to explain it. And well. He seems to feel the same way. It was such an awkward silence when we met. I just cant stop thinking about him.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Sounds good to me! Just take it steady, don't rush things and satisfy yourself that he is genuine and not after "one thing".

Also remember that sex between you would almost certainly illegal and he could get into a lot of trouble for having sex with someone under-age.

8. CrimsonThunder

Dont feel like theirs anything wrong. Biggest age difference I've had was I was 16 and the guy was 23. =) 7 years difference, but meh. he was awesome!

9. Jeimuzu

First point, and by far the most important.

Any sexual contact whatsoever between a minor - which I'm assuming you are in your part of the world - and someone of-age is statutory rape. He'd go to prison for it.

I'm just being careful, but that's the only problem I have with age difference - sometimes you can fall foul of the law. Of course, I think age of consent things are stupid as a constant boundary; people vary. Some people could go through puberty extremely quickly, others take years. The law doesn't take early and late bloomers into account. Also, if two people are dating and were since before either hit the age of consent, whoever hits it first is, legally, a rapist.

I personally think you just need to be of a certain level of maturity. However, maturity is like most psychological traits - impossible to measure.

As for the actual age difference, I don't think it's relevant. Six years is nothing, you'll realise as you get older. Two of my best mates at university are 26. If one of them in particular was gay, I'd go for him without any qualms about his age. (the other one is a fantastic friend, but he wouldn't make a good boyfriend)

You hit a certain age, and you realise just how irrelevant it is.

#9 Jeimuzu, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  10. JSG

JSG Guest

Love sees no age. I'm currently seeing someone MUCH older than me, and the guy before him was quite older too.
    I never EVER thought I'd be with someone as 'old' as him, but he's such a great person, age becomes irrelevent.

11. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's OK for you, as an older boyfriend is likely to be more mature and to take better care of you (immaturity is often a problem with younger guys). However, sex would be a problem, because it would be illegal (the age of consent in Uruguay is 15, I don't know what it is there). Of course, you can, ahem, keep it between the two of you...........................................

As I told you earlier, if he uses Linux then I strongly encourage you to go for it, LOL.

12. Kimi

I don't really have problem with age.
    I mean, I still think Daniel Craig is hot and I would date him:lol:

But maybe older than my dad is bit different story...So if the guy is under 41yo then I'd go for it:slight_smile:

13. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I think the ages almost everywhere else are 18 and/or 21, or something in between.

And Paul, as for advice, it would be pretty much what everyone else has said. Age is a factor of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter. :grin:

But just be certain that you don't do anything, foolish....

14. surfrboykai

i think the statutory rape laws are more emotional and mental maturity over physical maturity; however, it does include both aspects. but i could be wrong...

also, age of consent is usually always different when it comes to same sex couples, so look into that as well. like, where the age of consent might by 16 for straight couples, it might be 18 for gay couples, which is so fuckin bogus. write yer senators people!

my personal opinion...i, personally, wouldn't date anyone more than 3 years older and 2 years younger. i get old dudes hitting on me at work all the time (i work for slavegreens, why are they trying to pick me up?) it's been my experience that older guys usually just wanna fuck a younger guy, but i'm talkin about like, 30ish+.

15. paul7836

The law here in WA is 16 if within 4 years of each other otherwise 18. Im fine with not having sex. Its not something that i want to do, and i think he understands that. (as well as the law)

Edit: it turns out that Washington most definetly has set the law at 16 for everyone. The 4 years only applies if "(8) "Significant relationship" means a situation in which the perpetrator is:

(a) A person who undertakes the responsibility, professionally or voluntarily, to provide education, health, welfare, or organized recreational activities principally for minors;
    (b) A person who in the course of his or her employment supervises minors; or
    (c) A person who provides welfare, health or residential assistance, personal care, or organized recreational activities to frail elders or vulnerable adults, including a provider, employee, temporary employee, volunteer, or independent contractor who supplies services to long-term care facilities licensed or required to be licensed under chapter 18.20, 18.51, 72.36, or 70.128 RCW, and home health, hospice, or home care agencies licensed or required to be licensed under chapter 70.127 RCW, but not including a consensual sexual partner.""

#15 paul7836, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  16. Jeimuzu

Yeah, sixteen is quite common. If you're not gonna have sex till you're of age, then that's cool. You're seriously lucky you've got someone who could not only be a boyfriend but also someone older you can go to with worries that your parents would make awkward, at your relatively young age. One of my best mates is 26, and frankly I'm not sure how I'd cope if he wasn't, because quite often he's my biggest source of advice.

17. jroakwood

ah. this reminds me of a situation i kinda had....
    but mine hasnt worked out so well.
    :frowning2:
    depressing.

18. jroakwood

i dont think age is a problem, besides the sex thing.
    because i really did like a guy who is like... 7 years older than me...

...i miss him.

19. xxAngelOnFirexx

i personaly wouldn't want to date much older or younger than i already have. one girl was 14 when i was 15 and one is 17 and i am 15. but i think its fine for other people. i mean i didn't like it when a 14yr old friend went out with a 17yr old guy because to me that seemed wrong. but the older you are it doesn't matter. like past 25yrs a gap around 10 years up 5 years down is okay. 30+ a 20 year range would be okay up but only 10 years down. for your age being 16, 20 does seem a little high to me but since you are gay it doesnt matter. i think older straight guys would try to take advantage of younger striaght girls but i see the gay world of relationships to be more trusting. i would still be a little wary at first. it all depends on the people of course too...

20. Jeimuzu

Once you're legal, it's all about love and age is irrelevant. I know a few guys on forums that have such fulfilling relationships with age distances of even thirty years.