1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running away?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joezimm48, Apr 22, 2010.

1. joezimm48

Personally I'd do it but I don't know how I would get money or where to go. What do you guys think?

2. Shevanel

Don't? Why would you run away?

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually still think about it. Honestly I would have done it years ago, but I was afraid to leave my cat behind. I didn't want my step dad to kill him if I would have left him behind.

I could live without money - sure it would be hard at first but I'm pretty confident I'd end up somewhere decent.

4. joezimm48

I'd do it for the adventure, plus i never liked my home.

5. Bryan90

I did it three time in my life.... Once for 3 days; friend convinced me to return in the end; and cause I couldn't find any other way to earn money. Once for 2 days; parents found me via searching every mall that has free wireless connection (there weren't many in Malaysia).

And the third time.. I left for Canada for my tertiary education and possibly the rest of my life.. :icon_bigg Well doesn't really count as a runaway.. but yeah I included it anyway.

It was really quite an adventure.. But could be dangerous.. So be careful if you ever attempt it...

6. Shevanel

You'll be surprised of the luxuries you enjoy of having the home to begin with.

My stepbrother just ran away from home a few weeks ago for like the I don't know how many times. He just came back home last night. This is all because he's a jerkoff who does drugs and is now in trouble with the cops and everything, basically fucking up his life more and more. But I'm quite sure he didn't enjoy not being home, otherwise he wouldn't have come back. Not to mention the impact on your friends and family, and I don't just mean emotionally.

7. Zumbro

Even if you want to, I gotta say I don't think running away is really an option for you. Besides Duluth, there aren't really any real cities you could get lost in until Minneapolis. Not to mention you aren't old enough to work, and the temperatures easily hit -25F during the day in the winter, even down in the Twin Cities.

Wait a few years. Go camping or something instead. You're real close to Isle Royale, and if you're into hiking, it's an awesome way to get away for a week or so.

8. Darkwing65

Join the circus.

9. Halpert

I tried to once, but I didn't get too far; I got to the end of the driveway and realized I still wasn't allowed to cross the street by myself. But seriously, although I don't know what your home life is like, I highly advise against it. Just like Shev said, you'd be surprised what you miss once you left. And the trauma you'd put everyone through would not be too awesome. Unless there's a serious issue, even then there's better channels, I say its better to stick it out till' college. :thumbsup:

10. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    Hah. I just hope you wouldn't end up like that guy in "Into The Wild."
    Honestly, I don't think you would make it far. Or at all. You're too young. No one would hire you. Besides, countless teenagers are in perpetual conflict with their parents, day by day. It's a part of growing up in many people's lives. This is the time you need to learn all technical and social skills to prepare yourself for any adventure you want to pursue later. If you cannot learn to move along with your parents now, there is hardly a chance that you can move along with the world out there.
    Secondly, family support is very valuable. No matter how little it seems. I have never run away. However, I understand those experiences. I went to America, alone, when I was 15. I got stranded in LAX for a whole night without anyone there helping me on my first journey abroad. I lived with one strange man and four other kids, who didn't give a damn about me, as long as I stayed out of trouble. So I have grown up all by myself.
    I was clueless of how life operates in America. I could have lived very differently. Get a dirty job. Rent a cheap place. Eat junk foods. Run under the shadow of US Immigration. Etc. But I would never have gone to college and pursued my dreams without my parents' help.
    So I think you should reconsider. Time is precious, at least for you right now. It won't come back, no matter how much you press Crtl + Z.

11. Markio

I remember when I was in eighth grade there was this episode of the Simpsons where Bart constructs a weather balloon making fun of principal Skinner, and when he gets caught the first thing he does is turn to Millhouse and say, "I'll race you to Utah," in an effort to get away with it.

After that, I thought it would be the funniest thing ever to actually run away to Utah. I looked up maps and decided I would go east to the San Joaquin River, follow it south to Las Vegas, and then win a car and drive up to Salt Lake. I even drew my own map and kept it in my desk.

Now that I'm more aware of my sexuality and the religious climate in Utah, the whole idea sounds ironically scary.

12. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i just advise against it. try work thru any problems you have that makes you want to run away. talk to a friend about it if that helps. im sure any issues can be solved. if not hang tight till you are actually able to support yourself.

13. MusicIsLife

I ran away once, when I was 13. My parents were recently divorced, and on top of all my school work, i was being given a longass list of chores that HAD to be done before my mom got home, and babysit my two younger brothers. The lists of chores were so long I never had it finished by the time my mom got home, so lots of arguements, and I eventually caved under the pressure and ran away to my dads apartment. I was there for about an hour while he talked me down and called my mom to tell her where I was.

14. Miss Bubbles

I have thought about it too. I even went through a period in my life where i would read how to survive books. They would tell you how to survive in certain conditions. And i had a plan too. I wish i would have done it long ago. And yea it would have done something to hurt my family but they would have gotten over it in the end. Living with them has gotten so bad that i am even thinking about not talking to them after high school.

15. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I dont have to run away i can simple move out and live with my second set of parents (mum and dad devoirced and married other people). Besides it is not the best idea going.