1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does anyone else notice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bailey, Apr 23, 2010.

1. bailey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    that gay/lesbian, etc have a much better sense of humor? or is it just me?
    i have a few friends who are lesbians and they are just hilarious but my straight friends don't find many things humorous.. and i've lived in many states and it's not just here...idk maybe it's me ha:thumbsup:

2. GhostDog

I'm sure it just depends on who you know. Lesbians are supposedly reputed to have no sense of humor. I don't know where that comes from, but it's not funny.

>:|

Or something.

There may be some correlation between being open and comfortable with yourself and feeling freer to joke around. I know I've loosened up a lot since I came out, at least! But you don't have to be queer to have that.

Some of the most hilarious people I know are straight (or at least mostly-straight) women, but I do notice most of them have at least one "I kissed a girl" story. Even if they figured out they didn't like it. I think people who are comfortable enough with themselves to step outside of their bounds (whether or not that involves same-sex mackin') are probably the most entertaining.

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I see what you did there. :lol:

As for the idea that one group of people are funnier than another group... Well, look at the Jews!

Kidding aside, I don't think it's particularly valid. Most evidence supporting the claim would be anecdotal and furthermore, humour is incredibly subjective. Each person finds different things funny from the person that enjoyed Big Momma's House 2 to the person who guffaws over Mystery Science Theatre. For example, my friends have told me that I'm hilarious on more than one occasion. However, upon meeting new people I'm often greeted with looks that scream 'Oh frick, she's annoying'. But I'm awesome so who cares if they're wrong!

Where was I? Oh yes. No. I disagree.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Define "sense of humor". In my own definition, my sense of humor is almost non-existant.

5. RaeofLite

Um... not all... but I know that the friends I associate with, in general, are able to have a good sense of humour. Many of them are bi, some are straight, and I'm "the gay one". :slight_smile:

I've always had a fairly good sense of humour. A bit 'gutter minded' perhaps, but with some sarcasm and wit sprinkled ontop. :slight_smile:

6. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I always like the oppurtunity to discuss humour.

I am a very fond of comedy and I realised recently that I think it is because
    I have used humour to comfort myself during the many years of closet dwelling.
    In other words I think my sense of humor is largely a product of my struggle with my sexuality,
    so there may be something in what you say. I know that all the friends I have ever had have been (to my knowledge) straight and only one has really understood my sense of humour.

As a side note, you won't hear many New Zealanders saying this, but I have found Australians to have consistently better senses of humour than New Zealanders.

#6 marvin, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  7. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really don't feel self-confident at all on a lots of things (and have never kissed anyone in case that matters xd), but i use to make people laugh a lot once i know them a bit (boys/girls, shy onces, straights onces, homophobic onces etc...).

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, yes and no.

I know a few way too sensative gay friends.