1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Darkwing65, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Darkwing65

So, about an hour ago i randomly get a knock at my front door. I get up to see who is tapping and find a gentlemen is standing on my doorstep; apparently he is my neighbor. He gave me a story about his wife getting a blow out and him needing gas money to go aid her. He says hell need about 30 bucks to get to her because she works at the corrections facility on the outskirts of town. I complied and gave him thirty dollars from my wallet with only a promise of his hasty return and a refund of my money. I wonder if i'll ever see him again.

2. Darkwing65

Am i a fool in thinking ill get my 30 dollars back?

3. RaeofLite

"Apparently" he is your neighbour is different from "he is your neighbour". Have you ever seen the guy before? I'm guessing not since you said 'apparently'. :confused: It's quite possible you may never see this guy again. It may be fraud. And I'm sorry for your loss if it is. There are some real jack asses out there looking for a quick dollar. :frowning2:

Hopefully he was being honest and you'll get your money back though.

4. Darkwing65

Nope, I've never seen him before tonight. But i live in a fairly big apartment complex, so it's entirely possible.

I just feel its best to give humanity the benefit of the doubt. He needed it enough to knock on my door. Money, its a crime anyway.

5. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I personly you go suckered out of $30, me I trust nobody and I mean nobody, unless they have proven otherwise.

6. EddyT

I wouldnt have even given him 1$ if you don't know him then why give money :icon_wink

7. Darkwing65

I don't if i was suckered, i gave him the money because i thought it was the right thing to do. I knew very well that there was a good chance i would never see this $30 again.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad my neighbors never hit me up for cash. Although I don't know what a cow would do with money anyway...

I think you did the right thing, but in the future I'd be a bit more careful about giving out money. And why would anyone ask their neighbor for money anyway? That alone seems to weird me out.

9. kettleoffish

It's only money. At least you know that if he wasn't lying, you helped him out big time, and if he was, who cares? It's only paper.

10. Étoile

Paper that you use to pay your bills and buy things you need and keep economies running.

11. kettleoffish

12. starfish

Several times I have ran into this situation. A few times I have given them the money. I always tell them not to pay me back and to just help the next person.

Over the years it might have added up to a couple of hundred of dollars. Yes there is a very high chance I was conned. Then again if even one of those people truly needed the help and they in turned helped someone, it was worth it.

13. Étoile

I'm the giving kind, but I'm not the drain-my-bank-account kind. :lol:

14. Zach1992

Yeah you got mooched off of. If it's some convoluted story they give you then you almost guarantee they are a scammer.

15. Darkwing65

My sentiments exactly.