1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Math Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swamp56, May 5, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I feel really dumb for not knowing this problem. I'm trying to study for my precalc final and I stumbled upon this problem.

I gives me a graph:
    [​IMG]

And asks me to find:
    (f o g)(2)
    (g o f)(2)
    (f o f)(2)
    (g o g)(2)
    (f + g)(2)
    (f / g)(2)

I know how to compute nested functions as well as function addition/division....just not when I'm given a graph :/ . Any help is greatly appreciated!

#1 Swamp56, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  2. Eponine

Well, I'm a bit rusty on my math, but I believe (f o g)(2) is the same as f(g(2)), right? If so, then in order to find the answer, you'd have to first use the graph to find g(2), which is 0. That gives you f(0), which isn't defined on the graph (So I guess I'm either wrong, the answer just doesn't exist, or the line doesn't have a domain as shown in the graph). For the other ones, you'll just have to move the functions around so that you'd find f(2) first and then use that value as the input for function g, or input 2 into g and use that output as the input for g, etc.

3. Windmills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, Victor's got it---you look at the graph to determine the output of the function at the value in question
    so for addition you just do f(2)+g(2)=1+0=1

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Thanks a lot! We use Webwork, so all of our homework is online; I just did what you suggested and it worked ^__^ .