1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it we have this need to feel needed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, May 9, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking a lot and I don't know, I've been finding that we all have this need to feel needed. Why is it that so many of us feel we need someone not necessarily to be happy, but just for the whole companionship and such. I may know these days I don't need a boyfriend to be happy, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like one just for the benefits of a boyfriend. Someone to love, someone who loves you, someone to hang with, someone to treat, someone who treats you, and someone who knows you so completely. Why is this? Why do we need this sort of thing?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know how tough it is to raise your hand in class if you're the only one who doesn't "get" something, or if you have an opposing viewpoint? But as long as you have that one other person who feels the same way, it makes it SO much easier? It's the same sort of idea. We're getting confirmation that we're on the right track. And that makes things easier.

[youtube]ch5lZZGKd0E[/youtube]

Lex

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm good point. What does everyone else think?

4. HalfInsane

I'd say on a very basic level, humans are a social species. As such, we are inclined to not only look after both our own interests and well being, but also the interests and well being of others. Being/feeling needed by someone, fits the bill of being able to look out for another person nicely. Additionally, most people crave a purpose in life, and caring for someone or something can help satisfy that, too.

5. Possibly Maybe

Antropologically speaking, Humans are a gregarious animals. that means, we need each other to be happy. *nerd smilie*

6. Bryan90

Like the previous posters pointed out, I am inclined to believe that it is an evolutionary desire.

Though, it was just four months ago, I embarked on an experiment to bypass this particular evolutionary need. (I have this "thing" where I attempt to bypass and take control of as many desire as possible). In case you want to perform the experiment yourself, I'll outline what I did:

Notion:

1. The system in question is a very old system, it is debatable that we need close companionship to "survive" (physically) these days.

2. Our brain has the ability to make us happy irrespective of physical stimulus

Based on the two above notion, the experiment was to create an imaginary companion so real as to eliminate the desire to seek real companions and seek approval from real companions...

:grin:

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That does make a bit more sense. The only problem I had with Possibly Maybe and HalfInsane's ideas (no offense guys at all) is that if we want to care for someone, I'd say get a job at a retirement home or something. I'm a personal support worker and I help a boy with autism, but does that mean I feel the way I want to be? No. That's why I find Lex's and your (Bryan) opinions. Again no offense to Half or Possibly, you guys make a good point, just there is a little opening there that that could easily be misconstrued of just like saying "become a doctor and then you'll feel needed".

8. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the Londoner ! However, I feel that you should always have one person to talk to about anything (not your psychiatrist! trust me, they are there only to hurt you more....) Besides, in my case my need to feel needed came from not accepting certain aspects of life, that were bothering me so much to the point , that i almost lost it! so, for me this feeling of being needed came to an end after accepting all the ugly truths of my life....But i still believe that psychiatrists suck!

9. Meropspusillus

Sounds like you were seeing a bad psychiatrist. The last advice you want to give anyone with emotional troubles is that they shouldn't seek professional help, that's not saying everyone needs a psychiatrist for the smallest problems, but there are great psychiatrists out there whose job it is to make you feel better.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A long time ago all people had 2 heads and 4 legs...then the Gods threw down thunderbolts and split everyone in half. Then all people had 1 head and 2 legs, but the seperation left a desperate yerning to be reunited.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, love it

12. Bryan90

But but... what about those who want a three-way relationship? :icon_sad:

13. 4 seat

I know that when I sleep, I NEED something to be in my arms. When I fall asleep, 99% of the time I'll wake up with something/someone in my arms. Usually on my right side. Guy, girl, pillow, even sometimes when I would nap, my roommate's dog(pit bull) would come and sleep right next to me, haha. But, I know that a lot of my male friends have told me that when they sleep, they need to hold or hug something too. I think it has to do with our desire to be needed, at least when we sleep, the time of day when we're most vulnerable. It's instinctual, you know? Plus, cuddling feels amazing.....

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said you wanted to be reunited...I never said with only one person. :icon_wink

15. riot99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it has a lot to do with the need to have someone there no matter what. Like without sounding like "using" someone, it helps to know that whatever goes wrong in your life that you will have someone there for you. This comes with being in a relationship and maybe the advantage between that and seeing people or going on dates? If we don't have the confidence to make ourselves feel better than we all appreciate someone to do it for us