1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Driving lession

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, May 12, 2010.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Well I just got back from my first driving lession, It when good althought For most of the time this phrase were going through my head "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, I hope I don't crash this car" lucky I didn't. It was a Fiat 300, it is a nice little car. needs a bit of work next one is same time next week. Now I can relax

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, glad it went well. :wink:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hearing about somebody learning to drive always brings up some negative memories.

I learned to drive on a manual transmission (or "stick"). Those of you who have driven stick cars (or studied them, anyway) know that when you bring up the clutch pedal, you need to give the car a bit of gas in order to keep the car from stalling. Right? Pretty basic. However, despite having a book on "how to drive", and taking classes, and getting real-world experience from my instructor...

...nobody ever told me this.

Instead, all I ever got was "don't pop the clutch". Which means "don't bring up the clutch pedal too fast". So I'd be at a stop sign, I'd start bringing up the clutch pedal...as...slow...as...I...could...BAM, stalled car. And the instructor would bark "DON'T POP THE CLUTCH!" And I thought, well, for fuck's sake, I can't bring this clutch up any slower! I was taking upwards of ten seconds to bring the clutch pedal up! And STILL the car would stall on me. And the instructor would bark, louder, "STOP POPPING THE CLUTCH!"

The funny thing is - I don't recall how I found out about giving the car gas. Perhaps I read it in a second book. I don't think anybody actually told me - I sort of found out myself. And when I did find out, and tried it, I was hellaciously angry. Why the hell didn't this instructor tell me I needed to give the car some gas? I obviously was taking my sweet time bringing the clutch up.

...there's some gargoyle baggage for you. :slight_smile: Hope the driving keeps going well.

Lex

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stick shifts look horrible. >_< I'd never want to try one.

5. xequar

Driving stick shift is the easiest thing ever, and I taught myself to do it in a matter of minutes. My previous car had died, and the only replacement I could afford (since it was November and I needed a car before the snow came) was a Mercury Mystique with a stick-shift. So I bought it and literally had to learn to drive it so I could get it home. As I was easing out the clutch I saw the RPMs falling and felt it sputtering, so I punched the gas to the floor. Wound up spitting gravel (on a gravel road) because I spun the tires so bad, so from there it was just a question of figuring out how much gas versus how quickly I eased out the clutch.

Pretty soon I'll be buying my third car with a stick-shift! :icon_bigg

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'm glad your lesson went well, my driving teacher was quite frankly the nastiest cunt I had ever encountered in my life. But I got my license so that's all that mattered in the end.

7. Rygirl

Here's a story bout my first driving lesson,

The same thoughts were going across my mind, something like 'oh shit, oh shit, oh shit', my instructor took me down a tiny country lane as you can only find in the English countryside, and a car comes hurtling towards me at like 80mph or something, I swerved but they still took the car wing mirror off.

Anyways I'm glad yours went better than mine.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My had to go to the bathroom once every session. (1.5-2 hours) lol. Either I scared him so much or he just was unprepared and didn't use the restroom BEFORE or has a bad bladder idk.

9. Zach1992

I love my Driver's Ed instructor. She is very east going. I CANNOT drive the school's van though. I am horrible at it, but I drive the hybrid well. :grin: AND I successfully did a parallel park on my first try.

To top it up, I don't even have to PAY for Driver's Ed.

10. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

well done on ur first lesson. learning to drive is the best thing i have ever done. i really couldnt do with out the car. even after the problems.

anyway, why do people have problems with gears and clutch? most cars in uk are like that unless you get an automatic. i think it would be wierd to not have a gear stick haha.

11. British Lad

British Lad Guest

the only person i know to have an automatic car is my Dad and His BMW 5 seris which I wont get to drive it unfoutainatly.

12. haelmarie

I thought this title said "First Driving lesbian" :lol:

13. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Automatics are awful to drive! Plus you cant do half the stuff you can do with a manual xD. My instructor said I had the best clutch control he has ever seen. :grin:

14. Absentminded

My first driving lesson in a stick shift was with my stepdad.
    We were going into town for pizza, and he never told me that I needed to use the clutch when I stopped...I blew 2 stop signs cos of it, and then he didn't really show me how to keep it from stalling...I stalled. In the middle of the train tracks in town. I freaked out, somehow got it started back up, and just pulled into the pizza place, and nearly went over the curb. The train passed by less than 10 minutes later.
    I'm thankful I got my automatic Subaru :slight_smile: I love it.

15. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

hahaha, no i wouldnt think so. however you can do the exact same when u get ur car! i wont let anyone in my family or any of my friends touch my car.

16. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I though it said driving lesion, I was going to suggest a trip to the hosptial.

17. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Well He wont for three reasons:
    1. It is an automatic so not the best to practise in
    2. inserance is to hign
    3. He Is selling it or getting a replacement car soon

18. Nialla

Nialla Guest

Congrats on the first lesson over and done with. It only gets better from there ^_^

I got to learn in a Mini Cooper, which is great because it was a small, nippy car. Better to learn in one of them than a big slow thing (*Cough renault megan, Cough*).

I remember being complimented on my steering, to which I replied that I'd play /way/ too many driving games at arcades to not be any good. xD

Keep us updated! ^_^