1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loneliness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mitchell, May 14, 2010.

1. Mitchell

How many of you feel lonely, and how often?

I often find myself to get very lonely, and desperately want to feel better but am completely lost as to what to do.

What does everyone else do when they are lonely?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I been a loner most of life, so loneliness isn't anything new to me. When I find I'm really bumed out, I try to use sadness overload.

Watch sad movies, read sad books, listen to despressing music. Burn the loneliness out by exposing yourself to a ton of it.

Works for me

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel lonely nearly all the time. That's usually when I turn to the internet, go for a jog, read a book, watch TV, cook something, write, or if all else fails I just retreat to my bedroom with my cat and somehow that helps me feel better.

I sort of like being lonely. Not in the sense of feeling isolated or abandoned, but just being on my own. It does get old sometimes though.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my favorite songs from the 80s has the line "They call us lonely, but we're really just alone." And that sums me up pretty well. I love my own company, so I rarely feel lonely. If I do, I get out there and get proactive about it.

Lex

5. Bryan90

Realistically, you either 1) Learn how to enjoy being alone, or 2) go find company.

But, life is not always realistic. If you have enough hope, things might change, and you'd no longer be lonely one day. Have hopes! And All the best!

6. Brandford

I'm always lonely, but I find that the best distraction from my life is books, because you start to feel like your one of the characters and you forget about your life. Though it can be quite saddening when you finish a book and then you feel super lonely because you can't be apart of the happily ever after or you have to wait until the sequel comes out.

7. Mitchell

Thanks for your responses....

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My main suggestion would be this - work on liking yourself more. I know that's a tall order, and one that isn't easily obtained, but it's really the one that has the most far-reaching results. If you really like yourself, you're always in good company. You're always with somebody you like. So when I'm by myself listening to music or reading a book or writing or anything else, I'm doing it with somebody I like, and I enjoy these things more. As an added benefit, the more we like ourselves, the more other people are apt to like us, too. Which usually cuts down on the loneliness factor.

Lex

9. Mogget

Seek people out. That's been one of my big lessons for the year. If you've established a reputation as a loner (and boy did I ever until this year), people won't bother to check up on you or invite you to parties (or even just to hang out), even if they think you're a cool person. So, seek people out. Ask to spend time with them. Invite them over. Accept invitations.

Lex is right about liking yourself. It's not easy, but it's doable. And a lot of it comes down to simply saying to yourself, "I like myself." Odd, but it works.

10. Sylver

I tend to be a solitary person. It's tough sometimes... I am torn between needing my alone time and feeling lonely. I'm working on trying to find a balance in my life. I believe it can be found. I believe it is possible to enjoy being alone, and also to enjoy the company of others. I think that if you can find this balance in your life - where you can actually be happy being alone while still seeking out a circle of friends or your "pack" - you'll be a much more content person.

11. 4 seat

Definitely lonely. And the past few days, moreso than normal. Blows.

12. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I like being alone but I h8 being lonley but when that happens i blow it out of my hand with some heavy metal.

13. D_Alejandro

I've felt very lonely for a long time. I still do. :/

I came back here hoping to make a friend or two, but so far, nothing.