1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 year old boy summits Mt. Everest

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, May 22, 2010.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, so he isn't gay, and this has no LGBT references, but it is just an incredibly inspiring story. This 13 year old guy from California has successfully climbed the highest peaks on every continent but Antarctica (that's scheduled for later this year). And it has been HIS idea all the way along rather than his parents pushing him.

He also leads an outdoor leadership program for kids from 4th to 12th grade in his local community and speaks out for healthy lifestyles.

Word came that he actually reached the summit at Everest few hours ago. He isn't back at base camp yet so there's no post-summit interview footage yet, but here's a clip where they talk to him as he's prepping for it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE3t1Vxzhgw[/YOUTUBE]

2. Shevanel

It'd be pretty damn awesome to do that. (I agree with the newscaster that the kid's pretty mature for 13) My problem would be not the going up part. It's going down. I wouldn't be able to handle it xD Heights are horrible for me

3. Beachboi92

all i can think about is i wish i was rich enough to be able to do those kinds of things.......

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His voice is pretty low already for 13 year old, so no wonder he's pretty mature lol

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His family isn't wealthy. His dad is a life flight paramedic. The climbs are being done with corporate sponsorships and donations and he's been out promoting the climb everywhere to earn the money and corporate sponsorships to pay for it.

So if you *really* wanted to make something like that happen... it's possible, but it's a lot of work.

6. SlickyPants

It astounds me that he is only 13 and has had way more awesome life experiences than I will probably ever have. He is definitely an inspiration.

Perhaps if the human race ever sets foot on Mars during his generation he will be able to climb Olympus Mons, the tallest known mountain in our solar system.