1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do we need to find someone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hunterjones, Sep 6, 2007.

1. hunterjones

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has come to my attention that everything in pop culture (movies, books, news, magazines etc.), want people to be in a relationship.I don't understand that. They say that if you want to be fully happy with yourself then you have to love someone else. I find that a little demeaning and odd.
    I myself do not want to be in a relationship. I am not ready for one and am not willing to be in one. I know that others find this odd but meh...

What do you think?

2. Jim1454

I don't think it's necessary for you to have a relationship to be 'complete'. I certainly hadn't had a serious relationship with anyone when I was 20. It wasn't until I was 25 that I met my (ex) wife. It's important that you are comfortable with yourself, and know a little about what you want in another person. I certainly don't think you should be in a relationship just because other people think you should be...

At the same time, I wouldn't intentionally avoid getting into a relationship either. I think there is something very special about loving another person, and being loved in return. One of the last lines in 'Les Miz' is: "To love another person is to see the face of God." I get goose bumps every time I hear that, because there is something powerful about loving someone else.

You asked what I thought...

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I want to have a loving boyfriend, and that's important for me to be happy...

4. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Well I don't think we need to be in a relationship to be complete. I may be an anomoly buy I am perfectly happy living alone with my boy Joey the cat. I don't have many friends but I always was a loner. I was in a relationship for 7 years, but that ended 10 wonderful years ago. To be alone is not always to be lonely.

5. Jeimuzu

I need a relationship, personally. However, I agree that mass media wants us to fall in love with the idea of being in love.

As odd a quote it is, Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. references it in one of his songs, Whitewash is Brainwash:

6. oggrald

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the person. Some people feel like they need to be in a relationship, while others like living the single life. I personally don't see any way the media has influenced this... it's just like how they depict the perfect lifestyle. A successful husband with a wife and kids in a nice home. Not all people want that.

7. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

If this topic had a Theme song, mine would be:
    I'm Not The Marrying Kind - - Dean Martin
    I go my way alone
    Free and easy like a rolling stone
    I am strictly on my own
    Not the marrying kind.

I'm happy being free
    No girl gonna put a reign on me
    It's always gotta be
    I'm not the marrying kind.

I've been known to run a mile
    When they try to lead me down the aisle
    So if you want me to stay a while
    Don't start changing my style.

It's always been my plan
    To stay single any way I can
    I'm just a happy man

--- Instrumental ---

I'm not the marrying kind

It's always been my plan
    To stay single any way I can
    I'm just a happy man

Not the marrying kind.

(Not the marrying, not the marrying, not the marrying kind...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then for others it would be:
    Dean Martin - Somewhere There's A Someone

Somewhere there's a someone for everyone
    Somewhere there's a someone for me
    Though I may be lonely now
    I'll see it through somehow
    To someone's heart I know I hold the key

Somewhere there's a someone for everyone
    Somewhere there's a someone for me
    And I'll search my whole life through
    Until I find a love that's true
    For I know somewhere there's a someone for me

(Somewhere)
    (Somewhere)
    And I'll search my whole life through
    Until I find a love that's true

8. Daniel6

i need someone to love me, to hug me. I feel desperately lonely sometimes when i wake up in the middle of the night
    In those nights i cannot fall back to sleep again and start crying :tears:

#8 Daniel6, Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  9. Kimi

I could live without one but I could live with one as well.

I really don't mind(a word "want" is bit too much I suppose) having someone to be in relationship but I don't like being binding by him or her so I would rather being alone if I can't find right one.

I mean, having someone you love and being loved is wonderful but right now it's bit too much to handle for me because it's my senior year in high school and I'm really busy:icon_sad:

10. xequar

Remember, the media and society are trained to continue the message of "Marry and reproduce" because it's "good" for society. After all, the corporations that run society and government need people to make more people so that they have a never-ending stream of fresh consumers.

Having said that, I am much happier now that I have a boyfriend, but that's just me. You don't NEED someone if you don't want anybody. You gotta go with what works for you.

11. Jeimuzu

Hey, I'd already claimed the theme song!

12. step49x

I agree with everyone who says it's based on the person. I wouldn't mind being in a relationship, but I also do love the feeling of being single.

13. SpikySpice

Well, that may be wrong becuz look, peopel are still happy without a loving bf/gf, because others still love you, your friends, family, etc.

There are single people who live happy, because you dont know how they feel, you may think they are lonely and unwanted, but they actually enjoy their moments of their lives based on something else

But remember one thing, to love is to get hurt, dont love wont get hurt, if you want to love, you are willing to get hurt, since you dont wnat to get hurt, then dont love

About myself, yes I need some one to talk to, to share emotions and feelings, but that dont have to be my gfs or bfs, it could be my best friend, because sometimes we need a friend more than a bf or gf

And yeah, I denied toi be in a relationship with others soemtimes, cuz all i wanna be is their friend.

But sometimes we need someone special for Holidays liek Valentine or Christmas

14. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Which one? Not the Marrying Kind? - Been mine since 1968......(!) But I will share it.

15. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

I hate it when I don't find typos until too late. the word buy should read but. I am not lonely.

16. Sam

Sam

I really want to be in a relationship but I really don't think it would be good for me right now.

17. hunterjones

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SpikySpice has a good point. loving is hurt. Yes but the hurt should be. It has to be if we don't hurt then the love we felt wasn't real. The hurt is a reminder of the happiness and joy and tears that were in the relationship. Hurt is out mind reminding us that wounds heal and people are fixable. The hurt helps us cope and live and understand ourselves as well as the world and other people.
    I know at the moment i don't need love because I am still in a state of hurt but someday that will pass (or it may not). Until then I am happy to be me and alone with friends and family.

18. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would like to be in a relationship. I have been single for....well....I wouldn't even call my last relationship a 'relationship' because we dated for 3 days in yr 10 & barely saw each other....and that was 7 yrs ago. Plus it was with a guy, so I actually don't believe it counts anyway because nothing happened between us.

Some may be happy to live the single life, & don't take much thought of being alone, but I want to move on & find somebody. Especially when all of my friends are in relationships & being the 3rd wheel can't be avoided, it makes me dwell on it more.

I want someone to love & shower with affection. Someone to wake up next to & look forward to seeing them after work. Someone to share little personal jokes. Someone to compliment & make them feel better about themselves. Someone to share my life with.

Call me a hopeless romantic & I'm sorry if that was a bit soppy, but that's the way I feel. I know I don't NEED someone, in order to live my life. But it would be a pretty dull existence not having someone special to live it with.

19. Jeimuzu

No, no, I'd already decided on the theme! Look a little above your post :wink:

20. xequar

Yeah, there's something to that... Love has this odd thing of being capable of both extremes of the spectrum. When you're in it, it can be one of the most wonderful things in the world.

When you get dumped, it can hurt worse than a kick to the junk. I know this very acutely right now, since I got dumped last night.

Is it worth it? I think it depends on the person. I think the highs are worth it, even though there is the risk of hitting the lows. Status neutral gets boring after awhile and the soul gets stagnant at status neutral, IMO.

Is it necessary? Society is built around this sometimes nauseating idea of everyone marrying and reproducing, mostly to create more consumers to keep greedy corporations making money and in power. However, some people also have the need for the emotional closeness that can only come from a relationship. Personally, I am one of those people. But, I'm not everyone.