1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Festivals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by subaru000, Jun 1, 2010.

1. subaru000

What are they like?

I would want to go to one in the future but I am clueless as to what our community does in pride celebrations.

2. olides84

Oh boy, I remember a really heated debate on Pride Festivals last year on this forum. I'm gonna look it up for you, because there were a lot of first-person descriptions and a LOT of discussion (= arguing) about it. Ah, the good ol days of EC :slight_smile:

Found it! All 238 posts :grin: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21668

Happy reading...

3. subaru000

A belated birthday present! Thanks. Hopefully it's good arguing, haha.

4. InaRut

I went to pride for the first time last year (When I was 19! Woo!) And I can say this is what it consited of,

Multiple times walking up and down the same street (Toronto) and each time something spectacular or memorable happening.

I also got to march in the parade...Which was indescriably awesome. I was hungover before we started...But by the time the parade really got going. I was dancing, cheering, screaming (Woohoo!), giving hugs, and getting squirted with water guns.

I also danced with a drag queen and lost balance...then almost fell on my ass. I think I might of knee'd her in the crotch too. xD. She was pretty miffed.

Still...I think despite your views on pride...It's a once in a year (per city) opportunity that is just an excuse to party and to just be with your own kin. :slight_smile: I say go go go!

5. Miss Bubbles

I plan on begging my rentals to let me go to the one here in Indiana!!!!!!

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's what Denver's is like.

* A long parade. The participants are everything from gay clubs to gay-friendly churches to volunteer groups to gay-friendly politicians (the mayor and governor often march) to gay-friendly businesses.

[​IMG]

* Then everybody gathers in the Civic Center. There's a few stages with various musical acts, DJs, and dancers. Plenty of food booths and lots of vendors in tents. Volunteer groups, displays, and basically a ton of people packed in one place having a good time.

[​IMG]

* At night, all the gay clubs (and several straight ones) have special dances with famous DJs and acts.

Denver holds a yearly event called the People's Fair in the same area around Memorial Day. Gays jokingly call it "Straight Pride". But I think GayPride actually out-draws it. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. subaru000

Thanks for the pictures, Lex. I think that it's not so much the lack of clothing that angers people, it's more of a psychological thing for people and organizations (we all know the one in particular as of late) to see people like us having a good time and being who we are. The only thing that people of that 'nature' know how to do (from being brainwashed from their own lecturing instead of going out of their comfort zone willingly to accept others) is protest because that is all they know. Saying no and arguing is easier than agreeing even though the opposite is true. We must be doing our job in that respect because it only gives us more attention in the end. :icon_bigg

It's good to see that at least some people are on our side. Wouldn't it be more fun to bring straight friends along for the thrill? :icon_wink

I have never been to any gay themed establishment and am not looking forward to the club scene so seeing a drag queen might make me shriek. Haha. A good reason to go would be to just let go and see where things go (as long as I know my limits, of course).

#7 subaru000, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I have never been to any gay themed establishment and am not looking forward to the club scene so seeing a drag queen might make me shriek.

Just treat drag queens like you would somebody wearing a cool (or just unusual) shirt. Because that's pretty much all it is. :slight_smile:

I used to have a picture of me with these fine gals, but I can't find it anywhere.

[​IMG]

But if you dig up my staff interview, you can see me get a quick dance lesson from Gabriella Butzin (she's the one in yellow).

Lex

#8 Lexington, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. subaru000

How did the dance go?

10. chained butterfly

I have a question;
    For my age would it be appropriate to go. I'm going with my mother and I've never been. I REALLY want to go too but people are saying that a lot of people will be undressing and it would be kinda akward with my mom.

But knowing her she'd be like "woah look at those melons" or something lol.

11. Yannee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm really looking forward to the pride week in Helsinki, it'll be the first time I'm actively participating instead of just watching the parade from the sidewalks. I hope it'll be fun, even if it's not _quite_ as big as the one in Denver :grin:

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think your mom would be the perfect person to go with. :slight_smile: Yes, some people are scantily dressed but the feeling of community and love is tremendous! I love Pride! It's my favorite month out of the year!

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>How did the dance go?

Not bad, but it's not like we got too far. About 9:00 or so.

[youtube]HPUwC-SO4B4[/youtube]

>>>For my age would it be appropriate to go. I'm going with my mother and I've never been. I REALLY want to go too but people are saying that a lot of people will be undressing and it would be kinda akward with my mom.

It'll depend on the PrideFest, actually. You'll see scantily-clad men and women at any of them, but generally, it's about the level you'd see at a beach. More SUGGESTIVE, certainly, but nothing too out there, I don't think.

[​IMG]

It's not too uncommon at most Pride fests to see women topless, but with pride stickers on their nipples. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

But I think it's cool your mother is going with you. There may be a small bit of awkwardness, but I'm sure you'll get over it fairly quickly. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Emberstone

I really want to go to portland oregon pride this year, but I am nervious about going alone too. I might see if a friend of mine is going with her girlfriend, and if I can tag along.

I might send a email out to my gsa group to see if anyone wants to carpool and spending a day at pride.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'll be marching with PFLAG! Yell at me! :slight_smile:

16. RaRa

Arggghhh I'm gonna be out of town the weekend when Pride is happening here. :frowning2:

Does anyone know if Vegas has a Pride parade??

17. Apocalypte

Dublin Pride is on the weekend of my birthday :grin: This year will be my 4th time going, it's just a huge gay party.

18. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Going to my first one on the 26th. :grin:

19. Emberstone

I am getting together a carpool, and we are going to go up on sunday as the campus GSA. all I know for certain is 3 gsa members, myself including are going, along with ones girlfriend and mother. I will totally seek you out, and if your not adverse give you a hug for being so great to all of us on EC.