1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last Names?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RAJ Aladdin, Jun 8, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

This has been bugging me for a while now;

I don't have the NORMAL fantasies of a sexually exploring young man of my age. While most dudes are dreaming of hooking up in hot situations you know what my fantasy is? Being married and just cuddling with my husband after a long day apart from one another in bed. Yeah, I'm lame. LOL.

Well, in this fantasy I am a happily married man with someone who is madly in love with me (he shall remain nameless as you guys would so laugh at me! LOL) and even though we love being husbands we want to become fathers. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a father! I even know the names of my children and they don't even exist yet! Well, here's where my fantasy starts to become complicated...

As I said I ALWAYS wanted to be a father and I always wanted to raise my children with my last name (thinking I would be married to a woman it just seemed that this would never be a problem). Now, I'm still exploring my sexuality and I know that I am still attracted physically and emotionally to women (my major crush this year was a girl) so this might not be a problem. BUT, if I were to marry a man I would want OUR children to have MY last name and even use my DNA to have the kids. I also ALWAYS wanted to adopt and I STILL want that kid to have MY last name...

So...what does a gay or male bisexual couple do when they want to have kids? What if my husband wanted the kids to have HIS last name? How would someone handle this last name problem?

Thoughts?

2. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    I suppose there's no set rule to follow, think it would depend on what the individual couple would decide. But you are certainly asking a fair amount of someone as all things seam to be what you want. A bit of compromise would go well.

Personally i would probably look to a double-barrelled name as long as it made sense.

3. Rygirl

I'm not exactly in your situation, but I do want to marry an amazing woman some day and raise a family, in fact I'm really looking foreward to it.

Anyways the only thing I can think of in situations like this would be to double barrel the last name, that way it has yours and your partners... or you could give one your last name, and the other your partners? I'm not sure that one would work out too well, but hey hum,

Any help?

4. 4 seat

I'm in kinda the same boat. I'm not too concerned about the last name, cuz my last name is a bitch to spell and pronounce. But I really want a biological son at some point. It's gonna be difficult considering I'm not gonna have a wife. I have a lot to figure out about that, but I'm not even close to any of that right now. But yeah, I really wanna be a dad and pass on my genes to a kid and see what happens. And don't think you're weird, I do wanna explore my sexuality, but the fantasy that you describe sounds amazing to me too.

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

OMG I can't believe there are others that feel the same way! WOW! I had no idea I wasn't the only one! I actually thought people had a sure proof way to get around this! At least I'm not alone. That's somewhat comforting but it still sucks what we're (or we will) go through this.

I'm not entirely sure what a double barrel name is. You mean a hyphenate?

In my fantasy (LOL) one child has my "husband's" last name as their middle name. I dreamt that even though my kids would never be his genetically I thought that our adopted son (yeah, I have all the details planned out LOL) could have his surname as his middle name because since that adopted son is not genetically ours neither my husband or I have stakes in the situation so my hubby's surname and my lastname made that boy even more our child regardless of DNA :slight_smile:

...But that solution still doesn't help me out with the other kids :S

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

My boyfriend and I talk about this alot. We would both like to pass on our last names, but due to how they would combine (the main problem being my last name) hyphenating is not an option...I am not going to give away my last name, but let's just say it would look really bad. Right now, we are thinking we might just change both of our last names so that they are the same, but that isn't even very appealing.

7. Mogget

I don't think I'd care. I might even go for what sounded best with the name in question.

8. otc877

otc877 Guest

I've given some thought to it, and I don't really care much about the last name thing. To me, to give up my last name or have my partner give up his would emasculate the one giving up their last name. When women change their last name in a traditional marriage, it is to show ownership.

The kids part, I'm not really hung up on their last name. Ideally, if I were to get married, I'd like to have a family last name, where both my partner and I change our last names to match. Either hyphenating or a completely new name.

But, I definitely agree with you about the biological kid. At this point in my life, I'm not really sure if I ever want kids. But, I do know that if I were to entertain the idea, I'd want my kid to have my genes. So I can say things like, "You have your grandma's eyes" or "You get your smarts from my uncle" etc.

The absolute perfect situation would be to marry somebody who has an incredibly open sister, who would be willing to be our surrogate mother. We'd use my semen, and it'd be as close to a genetic match to both of us as possible. But, that would be a little strange...

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Believe it or not that's basically exactly what I want for my future. So you certainly aren't alone there.

I'm not too concerned about my kids passing on my last name though, or even my DNA. I have lots of issues with my paternal family, so I really don't want their name to be passed on. I plan on changing my own last name one of these days to fully distance myself from them.

I wouldn't mind taking my husband's name, or if he wanted to take mine then that would be fine too. But I would like my family to all have the same last name.

10. SaturdaySaviour

I've thought about last names (less about children though) and once I settle down, I think it would be best if both me and my partner changed ours to a completely different one.

Hyphenating is okay too, but I'd much rather get rid of my last name completely. People misspell it and ask if I'm related to a politician just too much. It practically ties me to the right-wing party and my conservative family.

11. Hoppip

My dad actually said that sort of thing to me. He told me that when I have a partner and we decide to get married/civil unioned/etc., that I should KEEP my last name and if we have a baby it HAS to have my last name (and my DNA). He wants to keep his male gene strong. : P

I'm not as concerned with the last naming and the genes. I know that it may even boil down to which last name is more euphonious (and by extension, which one I just plain like better). If I'm in France, would it be more helpful to take the French last name of my partner? Hyphenating could work for me (my very feminist history teacher had a hyphenated last name and she told us the whole story of it).

One thing I DO know: I will be "Daddy/Dadie" and he will be "Papa/Papa." The former is because I'm American and the latter is because he will probably be French. I spell Daddy differently in French so it fits better with French phonology and orthography.

12. Emberstone

just hope your partners surname is not over, and yours is bend...

13. Connor22

I don't want my kids to have y surname so thats alright then, seriously the amount of jokes that can be made about it are unreal

14. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Im not all too bothered. Would be nice to keep my own surname though. Double barrel if needs be really. Plus I share my name with a wealthy man off the Simpsons so gets a few laughs. :grin:

15. 4 seat

Maybe the guy you end up with will have the last name "Smithers":icon_wink

16. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

That would be all to weird! lol. :roflmao:

17. theJosephDean

A little late in responding, maybe, but just thought I'd throw my two cents in :slight_smile:

As far as children go, I'm a little iffy, but as far as my ideal future, I agree completely. I've never been one to date random people (I never saw the appeal) because if I'm putting my heart into something, I expect an outcome - not just a hookup and then moving on, ya know? So know that you really do have a lot of people thinking the same way as you.

I hope that whatever you figure out will work out in the future! :grin:

18. Miss Bubbles

I totally agree with Raj

19. Just Adam

i think your normal i cant think of anything nicer than cuddling up with my yet to be husband and just watching a movie with the lights down embraced haha....

as for kids i would say they would have the last name of the name you got married under, if the married last name is a combo of your two last names thats a nice compromise...

20. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Going a bit off topic but i think it's good to see that allot of Gay/Bisexual people have similar views and it is one i share. Too many people believe the myth that all Gay/Bisexual people are just out for sex and sleep around. Sure some do but not more so than straight people.