1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vancouver

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by popboy, Dec 4, 2005.

1. popboy

It all started like one of my crazy plans that are never meant to be fulfilled, but now I am seriously considering travelling abroad and taking the 4-week English course I have been dreaming of for ages. I think I deserve it!Vancouver (Canada) sounds like a great destination. My dream has always been travelling to London (UK) but it is extremely expensive as you all know, and I still expect to do that trip in the future, with more money and better English language skills :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    So it should be Vancouver. In about six months if I stick to my idea.
    I remember some of you are from there or are currently living there.
    Would you recommend Vancouver for a guy who's never been abroad? Whose English is not that fluent? (I am a little worried about accents/slang/whatever). I guess everything will be OK, I just would like to get some feedback from you ;-)

#1 popboy, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  2. nisomer

Well from what I can tell your english is already great! Seriously if it didn't say by your name that you were from Buenos Aires, I would have never guessed that english is not your first language. But from what I can see in your writing you will probably do fine anywhere you go! I've been to Vancuver a several times, although I usually visit the local chinese communites around it like Richmond, I have been downtown once or twice...its a big city, all I remember from it though is just that it was really crowded when walking on the sidewalks lol...so I guess thats not much help :/

a little off topic, but since you were from Buenos Aires I was wondering if you liked to listen to any Piazzolla? I'm playing the "Histoire du Tango" for guitar and flute right now...awesome piece! I also heard "Maria de Buenos Aires" when I was in Aspen, which was pretty sweet too.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Vancouver--it's great. Of all the English-speakers in the US or Canada, we probably have the least "accent..." we sound a lot like news broadcasters in the States, except we know how to pronounce roof and route.

Vancouver isn't what I would call a big city in terms of, oh, LA, New York, Toronto, Atlanta, etc. San Francisco has about twice as many people as we do.

If you can come in the summer, it's pretty awesome here. The summer is basically July and August. Much of the rest of the time it rains. Not solidly but we're called a temperate rainforest for a reason. The natural beauty of British Columbia is pretty much unparalleled, especially if you like green stuff. All the rain means we're pretty damn green, plus most of our native trees are coniferous (evergreen). Vancouver has ocean and mountains and forests and plains. About the only thing we don't have is desert, although you can find desert-like regions elsewhere in BC.

The gay community here is pretty cool. Canadians can be a little reserved and we're hardly world-renowned for our clubbing or anything but overall you can have a pretty fun time here. Our Pride parade is the beginning of August.

There are a lot of Spanish speakers here learning English so you wouldn't really stick out that way, especially downtown. We're extremely multicultural here--there are a lot of people from all over the world who call Vancouver home.

If you have any specific questions, feel to post them here.

Oh yeah... I've been all over the US and to parts of Canada and if I can be shallow for a sec, we have the cutest guys of anywhere I've ever seen. (!)

4. goratrix

I think it will be great for you, you deserve it, and if you are lucky (as I was) it will change your life. So I'll just say GO FOR IT!.

Hope you are doing all right, I know I've beet a bit of a stranger lately.

*hugs popboy*

5. popboy

Thanks for all your feedback! :slight_smile:

@nk1114
    Thank you! In fact I don't speak as fluently as I write, I have a terrible lack of practice, and I'd love to change that!
    Piazzolla? I actually don't listen to his music, but I know he's really famous worlwide. He used to be a kind of controversial person in the tango scene, which used to be quite a dead music genre before him. Great to know you're playing his music!

@joeyconnick
    So I won't worry about the accent!
    City size is not a big deal for me, I live in a large city after all, and I think a change will probably suit me :slight_smile:
    I'm a reserved person, so I think I'll mix well with Canadians LOL.
    I'll surely post some questions in a few days, I'm starting to browse some websites about Vancouver.
    Thanks for all your advice, really! :wink:

@goratrix
    I have to be careful about my expectations! I am so nuts that I even think that a new jeans would change my life (BTW, I bought new jeans last weekend, and I'm still hoping they'll change my life the first time I wear them... they look great LOL). Seriously, I understand your idea, but I don't want to make my mind about it, I just would like to have a nice time, and the rest (if any) would be like a bonus.
    I'm doing fine, thanks for asking! You know I know you're in love and busy with your exams... I promise I'll manage to get ALL your attention for quite a few hours when you come to Buenos Aires... just wait and see *evil grin*.