1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going to Iceland!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chandra, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Chandra

:icon_bigg

Anybody been there? Any advice, recommendations, etc.? I'll be there for three weeks in July. I'm so excited.

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Advice:

Try to speak their language. Even if you know none of it. Try and learn things like "Do you speak English?" "Do you know where ... is?"

When you try to speak a countries native language to the people, they will be much more polite to you and try to help you to the best of their ability, but if you speak English right away they will think poorly of you and not care as much.

Most people are very fluent in English there though.

3. ANightDude

^ This. Reminds me of my trip to Mexico a while back...

4. Chandra

Oh, I've done a lot of travelling and I always make sure to learn the basics (hello, please, thank you, etc.). I meant more specific advice about what do do, where to stay etc. in Iceland. But thanks! :slight_smile:

5. You REALLY don't understand how jealous I am of you right now xD

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BML2JAFUIaw[/YOUTUBE]

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Were not to go:

Eyjafjallajökull Volcano; although the eruptions have stopped, it is causing multiple earthquakes daily which is a sign it will soon erupt again.

Katla Volcano; through out history, when Eyjafjallajökull erupted, Katla did soon after.

:3

7. Chandra

I would be jealous of me too. :icon_bigg I've been wanting to go for years, and I finally have the chance! Between Björk and Sigur Rós I've pretty much become obsessed with their culture, landscape and mythology.

----------

Haha. Yes, thanks! I will try to avoid those. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. I hope you are able to learn more about their mythology and beliefs while you are there. Thats always fascinated me about them :slight_smile:

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look out for the elves! They like to inter-breed with humans. :lol:

10. partietraumatic

ive been to iceland twice.

My main memories are the absolutely abysmal food, and the hideously high prices of everything :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

it is also an amazing country, make sure you go to the volcanoes and glaciers, but i guess you will, you wouldnt go there and not to that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. kettleoffish

[youtube]34mHZgP9vkc[/youtube]

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

When did you go? Because until recently, they were in a huge economic crisis which actually caused their entire government to collapse.

13. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    I'm off to the USA in August and i am worried about the stupid ash cloud coming from there grounding my flight! So do me favour and turn the volcanoes off up there. :icon_wink

The scenery is supposed to be fantastic. Always wanted to go there myself, have a great time.:thumbsup:

14. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The eruptions stopped in May. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    That may be a small technicality :lol:

Well just make sure they don't go back on!

16. olides84

I've been there once, and yeah, it was amazingly expensive. So maybe you gotta be frugal because three weeks of that would just kill a budget. Maybe you could couchsurf...I heard that's where it all started. Or camp.

Go to Geyser where you can see the original geyser that all geysers are named after :slight_smile: Too bad it doesn't blow regularly due to all the junk they've poured in over the decades to get it to blow on demand (that's not a dirty joke...). Also the Blue Lagoon is a tourist trap but it's good fun and quite unique. Overall, the whole country is pretty but kinda bleak. My friends and I didn't have that great a time due to shitty weather and we were much happier in Norway which was actually cheaper. But most people love it so I'm sure you will too.

17. partietraumatic

i know, thats why i guess it might be cheaper now. Though the recovery could have pushed prices up, i'm not sure. Both times i went were years ago now, long before their economic problems.

18. Chandra

I know it's going to be expensive, so I've been saving up. That's one of the reasons I'm going anyway, despite the potential volcano problems - I can afford it right now!

I am a bit concerned about food, 'cause I don't eat fish or meat, and I've heard that basically everything there is fish-based, and fresh produce is hard to come by. I may end up subsisting on bread and water...

Any of you folks who've been there - did you do an "official" tour bus type thing, or did you make your own itinerary? How easy is it to get around the country? (I don't drive.)

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The country is pretty small, so I assume there are national driving services at your disposal such as buses.

If you go to a large city, there are vegitarian shops according to my friends in Reykjavík.

That's pretty much their only largest city, only 100,000 people. The next largest has just 30,000.