1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Fransisco Trip!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NickT, Jun 25, 2010.

1. NickT

As a senior graduation gift, my parents and I are heading over to San Fransisco July 9-17! As far as places to visit go, I've been recommended Golden Gate, Alcatraz, the Castro, the Exploratorium, the Height, Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, and Fort Point. My mother has recommended seeing a musical/play while we're there, though I haven't checked to see what's playing yet.

Anyone else have any suggestions/advice? >>

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have fun! :grin:

That sounds like quite the packed trip already, why would you want even more? XD

3. Khobra

Khobra Guest

WICKED is playing until later in the summer, so you definitely need to see that!

For Golden Gate, if you can rent bikes, do it. If not, I'd suggest walking. The Golden Gate bridge is only about 2 miles long, so walking shouldn't be too bad (4 miles total walking back and forth)

As for Haight, bring money. There's a lot of shops in there and they're cheap so if you're thinking of buying souvenirs, buy it there. Caution, though: Haight-Ashbury is a hippy area so everything will be reminiscent of the '70's haha

As for the other places you've been recommended to, I don't really think there's any "hidden" things you can do there (as far as I know), so just go there and enjoy yourself!

By the way, bring warm clothing. Every time I'm in the city over the summer and I start talking to tourists, they always complain that San Francisco isn't warm. I think it is. but I've been a San Franciscan for a long time haha (you don't need to bring like winter jackets, but bring at least a few sweaters and such)

Oh! as for beggars and other suspicious-looking folks are concerned, ignore them. Don't look them in the eye and just go about your business. You don't really have to worry about the ghetto people of the city in the daytime since they keep to themselves, but night time is when you need to just keep your head down. If beggars ask you for money, don't look at them, and just walk away.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Twin Peaks is a must-visit. Right in the middle of San Francisco, and has incredible views of the entire city and beyond in all directions.

If you can get over to the east bay, check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley, by the Berkeley campus. Lots of street vendors selling interesting, often handmade stuff, lots of neat little shops, and some wonderful and interesting food.

There's an enormous battleship that's retired and docked in Alameda (across the bay, down the road from Berkeley) which you can tour, and Alameda itself is pretty.

Chinatown is really interesting also, lots of stuff you won't find anywhere else, some of the best and most authentic Chinese food you'll ever find.

If you're remotely religious (or even if you're not but enjoy being around a lot of phenomenally happy people) it's worth checking out Glide Memorial Church's Sunday service. Cecil Williams is probably one of the most amazing pastors in the world and he and his staff lift up the congregation (which is everything from multimillionaires to homeless people, and very diverse in every other way too) every week in an incredible burst of energy, song, and sermon. Totally accepting of gays and lesbians, too. You can read what others have said here.

At the opposite end of the scale, if you want to mortify your parents, you can get them to take you to Muir Beach, which is one of the largest nude beaches in California (and also a very pretty area)

The rest of the options you've suggested are all worthwhile also.

#4 Chip, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. NickT

Oooo thanks for the suggestions guys :grin: I'll totally find some way to trick my parents into going to Muir Beach. ^_^

6. elitechris

I live 30 mins away from SF but I rarely visit. My last time being there was 2 weeks ago because I took the train home from Oakland after taking my ACT test, so...

I recommend going to Pier 39 [so much fun!], Yerba Buena Gardens [huge marry go round and huge slides!], and the park area aroung AT&T Park is really beautiful.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do, the nude beach part is a very short walk from the main beach, If you go on a weekend day, it will likely be pretty busy. Muir Beach is a widely known and used recreation area, they may not bat an eyelash at your wanting to go there and it would probably never occur to them to think about it being a nude beach.

Once there,your parents, if they prefer, can stay in the clothed section and avoid being mortified, and you can claim complete innocence that you had NO IDEA there would be throngs of naked people :slight_smile:

8. NickT

So far so good...except my World of Warcraft account got hacked v.v I have a WoW friend who lives here who is giving me tips :3 Lots of cute guys, more gay people than I've ever seen in a city at once :O

9. have fun and make the most of it ^^