1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Day....I'm so excited!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jun 26, 2010.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I wanted to share this quote about Pride.

Roger Doughty is the ED of Horizons Foundation. I was especially touched by his words... " Part of Pride is intensely personal - it's about who we are and what we believe about ourselves. It's about having overcome a million messages that we're sinners, deviants, criminals; it's about the families we create, and the children we raise to love rather than to hate. "

2. Khobra

Khobra Guest

San Francisco Pride starts today and I'm SO excited!
    Not sure how today's going to go, though... ehh, maybe I'll just go to the Dyke March and Pink Party afterwards :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I had such a great day! I got to hang out with Thomas Beatie (the "pregnant man") and family today. Nancy came up to me and said thank you for supporting them when alot of gay rights organizations turned their backs on them. She asked me to come meet Thomas and the kids so I sat with them. Thomas is expecting child #3 in four weeks. The kids are adorable. The first one looks very much like Thomas. Nancy said they are probably moving to Arizona soon to be near her dad. I think the media have finally calmed down and are leaving them alone so that is good. A little interesting tidbit....they told me that Oprah was not very nice to them off camera. That was sad to hear because I've always believed Oprah to be a strong advocate for glbt folks. Anyway...it was nice meeting and talking with them. Oh another thing...Nancy said one of her older daughters (they appeared on Oprah) is a lesbian.

You know I just don't know why people were so hard on them. Why can't people just let people live their own lives the way they want. Thomas and Nancy are just a happy family and the kids are happy and healthy too. No biggie.

4. Inhuman

So true. Even though I've faced enormous criticism and discouragement from members of my own family, my teachers and some classmates, 90% of the homophobia in my life still came from within myself. THIS is what we need to combat.