1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Update

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kenko, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two stories.

First is I came out to my brother. He was visiting town (which only happens once or twice a year), and the topic came up about his luck with dating, which provided enough of a segue. He seemed cool with it.

Second story, I was at the local gay bar, and saw not one, but two people from work. One of which I actually know and works in my department. Interesting because the environment at work is fairly 'phobic. I mean I assumed there would be other gay people at work given the number of people, I just didn't expect to run into them at the bar, since I only go out a few times a year.

2. Ralivar

Congratulations on coming out to your brother, it's good that he took it so well.

I think that there are people who try and keep their work lives and their private lives separate for whatever reason, especially in a 'phobic work environment. I've found that (although I'm similar to you in that I don't go out that often) it's amazing the people that you see at bars.

3. timtravolta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you are lucky to have a cool brother, and props for finally coming out to him. as for your co-workers, they are just a testament to the increase in number of straight acting gay guys, which is cool too. i appreciate it when gay guys embrace their masculinity too.

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say an increase in the number of straight acting guys. They've always been there. Maybe more awareness of their existence. This is something the US military is missing with DADT. People are worried about repealing it will suddenly open up the military to all "teh gays" who will join, when really they are already there.

As for my co-workers, I only work directly with one of them, and I had my suspicions and wasn't really surprised to see him there. The other person I saw there works at my company, I've seen him in the corridors, but have never interacted with him, so I have no idea if he's "straight acting" or not.