1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you change your last name.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Jun 28, 2010.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

In the rights section the was a post about name changes and my question is this:
    Would you legaly change your last name when you got marryed to your same sex loved one, To there last name combo of names or what?
    Please state if you would and what you change your name to?

2. Connor22

I would'nt change it for all of the world, 1) it shows I'm related to Brian Boru and b) the irony from the jokes that can be made is not only funny but reminds me of who I am

3. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

No coz i love my Excellent last name. :grin: (points to for the ones who guess who im on about. xD)

Im more likely to keep it or double up but if needs be I might take his name.

4. xCrazyInsanity

i might change it to my partners when that comes up.
    i have no connection to my family other than blood.

but otherwise, no. my last name is far too common to be easily connected to anyone

5. Eric

I'd for sure take his name, partly because mine is aweful and I've been teased about it, partly because my parents should be divorced and I really really really want nothing to do with my dad.

I wouldn't even think of using both, I'd change it for sure provided it's not to something funnier than I have.

6. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I'd for sure change my name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seriously though no I would not.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love my last name, in fact I don't think most of friends know my first name they call me by my last name

8. theJosephDean

Nah. I'm wanting my last name changed to match my grandfather's anyway (long story, lots of family issues :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), so if I got that done with, I wouldn't want to turn around and change it again, lol. Though, my bf does have an awesome German surname ^_^

9. SwissBoy88

I love that Friends episode!!!

I sure would change my last name... hate mine anyway

10. Étoile

Yes. In a heartbeat.

My last name's ridiculously common. I've always wanted a more unique one. Like Lavender, West, or Kicklighter.

11. Khobra

Khobra Guest

Sometimes I get that feeling. I just don't want to be associated with my biological dad. And I prefer my middle name more because my mom chose that...

12. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Argh, no. It's a horribly patriarchal tradition: in straight couples, the woman takes her husband's last name as a way of showing she 'has an owner'. I guess in same sex couples the sexist connotation is less clear, but I still find the idea a bit repulsive: I certainly don't want to belong to nor have power over my partner.

13. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    I think it would all depend on the situation at the time, would not be 100% against it. But always like the idea of a double-barrelled name. As long as it did not look too ridicules.

14. NickT

As annoyed as I am with my last name (it can be mistaken for a first name), I wouldn't change it unless it rolled off the tongue easily.

15. CanisCerberus

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im unsure idk if i would or not depends on who id marry LOL if they got a cooler name then me then hell yea :slight_smile:

16. RaRa

I'm not sure. My last name is rare and EVERYONE mispronounces it, so idk how it would work out with my guy. xD Maybe a hyphen? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, I'll keep my last name. It's fine.

18. Inhuman

I love my last name so I'd really want him to change his .. also I want to be a psychoilogist so he'd have to me the stay at home mom .. i mean dad.

I'm selfish lol

19. paco

paco Guest

hmm.. that's a good question. it would be nice to have the same last name cause it'd show we're together, but i might feel like a girl if i changed my name. plus, i'm named after my dad and my grandpa, if i changed my last name that little III at the end would be completely unnecessary.

this will just be something to save for when the time comes

20. Allistair

Allistair Guest

I used to think that i would change my last name in a heartbeat if could since it was so odd and everyone would mispronounce it. But i've kinda gotten used to it now and i think it's a pretty kick ass last name since it means Red. I was actually the only one in my school with that last name so i was always easy to identify.