1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online University LGBT Courses?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, so I'm about to start fourth year, and I was wondering, do any of you go to, or know of schools that offer online courses in LGBT studies just for fun (and credit)? Like ones that maybe don't need prerequisites... I hope this is fine to ask on here, but let me know if you know any Universities that offer this. I'd really appreciate it...I need a course or two to fill my schedule because the ones I wanted to take are reserved for honours students until july 22....so I thought maybe this would be a possibility. Let me know!
    Rev

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess no one knows any...thanks though for looking at the thread...

3. theJosephDean

Perhaps Canadian schools set things up differently, but I was just confused as to how an online course at another school would help you any... After all, you'd have to go through an entire enrollment/registration process for the other school, yeah? =/

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I know that the University of Toronto, York University and the University of Windsor offer courses related to LGBT studies; however, from the looks of it you would need to contact them and ask them if it is possible for them to offer you a long distance/online course.

For example at the University of Windsor, LGBT related courses are part of their Sociology programme. I think it might be worth to check out their Sociology website. For example one course that might be of interest and would be worth to investigate if an instructor in the department would be willing to offer it long distance is:

48-351. Gay and Lesbian Studies
    A multidisciplinary review of critical issues in the social organization and representation of same-sex bonding, including discussion of: cross-cultural studies, historical constructions of homosexuality and romantic friendship, coming out and identity, relationships and family, theories of homophobia and sexual repression, the development of communities and social movements in modern societies, the impacts of AIDS, and the emergence of queer theory.

York University has an undergrad certificate programme in Sexuality Studies. Perhaps contact the chair of the School of Women's Studies.

I would suggest that you approach individual instructors/professors who have taught LGBT related courses, and ask them if they would be willing to offer/arrange for you such a course. In your e-mail to them I would clearly state the reasons as to why you would like to have a long distance course with them, and what you hope to gain from it. I would also look at the courses that they are offering and mention one or two courses in which you would be interested in.

Hope this helps!

5. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well at the old university I went too which was University of Western Sydney there was an subject called "Queering Text" which was in the humanities division.