1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How straight-acting are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jul 1, 2010.

?

How straight-acting/gay- or lesbian-acting are you?

1. 0. No one would ever suspect it

13.7%
  2. 1. I only give off a few subtle signs that I am gay, and you have to really look for them

22.1%
  3. 2. Some might suspect I am queer, but it's certainly not obvious

22.9%
  4. 3. I'm pretty ambiguous in the way I act; I keep them guessing

19.8%
  5. 4. It's fairly obvious to the casual observer, but the more oblivious types might not guess it

15.3%
  6. 5. It's very obvious to the casual observer

3.8%
  7. 6. Honey, they'd have to be blind to not know!

2.3%
  1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I know a lot of people on this forum don't like the phrase "straight-acting" because it implies that for a man to act masculine or a woman to act feminine is the exclusive realm of the heterosexuals, but it's the simplest way to convey the idea I am try to get across.

Simply put, how obvious is it to the casual observer that you are gay/lesbian/bi/queer in general? Are you with Lexington in the ranks of the "stealth fags", or are you so flamboyant that you would make Mario Cantone blush? Well, let us know! Vote and explain below, if you are so inclined. I modeled the choices after the Kinsey scale, just because. :slight_smile: Also because I just think that seven is a good number of choices for a poll.

#1 Owen, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not very obvious, although once I tell them they seem to think that it should have been obvious. :lol:

3. theJosephDean

I went with 3, lol. No real reason, I just like to make people who don't know have to think to themselves for a second. ^_^

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I wanted to post my reply separately to keep the first post exclusively about the topic at hand. I'm definitely not at all gay acting; I actually have a list in my EC blog of all of the gay stereotypes I break, a list I previously posted in another thread on that topic, and it's quite long. Many of my friends have told me that they would never have suspected I was gay if it weren't on my Facebook profile, and sometimes they even forget (one of my friends flat-out told me, "You know, sometimes I forget that you're gay." Yep, that straight-acting.). That's why I started wearing pride bracelets and other rainbow paraphernalia; it gets exhausting to need to come out of the closet so often.

I have to say, though, it's immensely gratifying to hear the few people who don't know I'm gay (pretty much just the people I work with, since the topic just never came up) talk to me as if I do like girls. It's a bit of cheap entertainment to hear them talk to me about needing to get me a girlfriend and me going out to "pick up chicks" or using the phrase "if you were gay" while talking to me and be able to think, "Oh, them." I can't wait to see the look on their faces when I finally let that cat out of the bag (or should I say out of the closet?).

Edit: Here's the blog post, if you are so interested: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/blog.php?b=2810

5. Eric

No one would even think that I'm gay.

6. I mean, I will put it this way.

When I told the guy working at the MAC makeup counter whom I was buying makeup from,that I was gay, he was surprised. So yeah xD

7. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's actually impressive. :lol:

8. Hoppip

No offense to everyone, but every gay person I've ever spoken to about this (including myself!) has vastly underestimated the amount of sheer gayness they exude. I know that my own experiences may not be representative of the majority, but I think it could be interesting to compare self-concepts versus external views.

EDIT: I rated myself a four, but I'm sure that I'm more of a five or a six (I just don't want to shatter my ego too soon).

9. Until recently, I thought I was the gayest thing around. But when I started coming out, and did not get the responses I expected, I decided I was wrong xD

10. GhostDog

I... don't know.

I'm not really butch or anything, but I get really uncomfortable with the idea of ever possibly being mistaken for a "girly girl". It was only after I shaved 2/3rds of my head that I thought, "Hey, I bet I can get away with wearing a skirt now!" I'd happily put on makeup and a summer dress, so long as I could wear a leather jacket over it and spike my hair all the way up.

I don't think my behavior tips most people off. Probably because I hang out with people who behave a lot like I do. Most of my female friends are straight, and mostly act just as sarcastic, vulgar, and indelicate as I do. Or more. Compared to some of my friends, I am obnoxiously chipper and bubbly.

And none of them seem to assume I'm gay. Maybe in a different group, where "Dude, you should totally tattoo a penis on the side of your head!" is less of a common phrase*, my behavior would register more as "HOMG, LESBIAN!" But I don't know! The only people who were like, "OH MY GOD, I KNEW IT" when I told them had known me for years. Everyone else has been like, "Oh, I didn't know that."

... Then again, I am an art student in a college down, everyone could just be assuming everyone else is at least bi-curious and not saying anything. They would probably still be right 80% of the time.

* This is an actual thing that was said to me at least twice.

11. theJosephDean

I need to stop reading posts while eating because

made me spit out the pasta noodles I was trying to eat from laughing so hard. I don't even know why, I read that in a very hilarious voice and ... wow. Thanks for that :slight_smile:

12. Zach1992

I don't think I'm straight acting. I wear tight pants with my hair up in my sun glasses most of the time. I'm a HUGE theatre queen.

A few weeks ago a girl said to me "You seem too manly to like guys." I would have never called myself manly. :lol:

13. Totoro

I'm very ambiguous apparently- They can't tell if i'm straight or gay =S though some people think i'm straight, some think i'm gay. 50:50

14. Shevanel

I don't really know what to vote on the thingamajigger. But virtually every person I've told I'm Bi was rather surprised, and no they weren't being sarcastic >_>

15. Rikudo

Well after 18 yrs nobodies figured it out so I guess I'm pretty frakin straight. Being pretty much a "Jock" makes people suspect you less. You can make the excuse that sports have to too busy to date.

16. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I put 2 bit I'm really not too sure. People asked if I was gay when I was 13 or 14 but people think all sorts of things at that age, I'm not sure how serious they were. I'm really interested to see how people react when I do come out.

17. timtravolta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    they won't have a clue i am gay unless i tell them. i am straight acting because i get more straights to date this way. i think the most important thing is for people to just be themselves, whatever makes them happy, go for it!

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went for 3. Some people can pick it easily, other people have no idea until I tell them.

19. RaRa

Some can tell, some can't.

20. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I am a strong advocate for "There's no gay or straight acting (or black and white), there's just you."

But let's just throw that to the side for now~

I am probably a 3, maybe 4 at most. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: