1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Friend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kevinx519, Sep 12, 2007.

1. kevinx519

So i met this new guy at school the other day. He's a freshmen and seems like a really cool guy. I'd like to get to know him but just in a friendly kind of way. But today, I was at crosscountry practice and overheard him talking with another guy about gay people. They were saying how disgusting and wrong it was, and I was kind of surprised to hear that this guy was saying those kinds of things. It totally changed my opinion of getting to know him, so my question is, am I doing the right thing by doing this?

2. Are you right in meeting him? (all of this is imo) If you really just want to know him as a friend, maybe. You could try and be really good friends with him, but if he is dead set on being against gay people, you could get be out a friend if he found out you were gay. If he is more open, then maybe if he finds out, he'll be more accepting. Try meeting him or observing him a bit before really getting to know him.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Who was saying more of the anti-gay stuff, him or the guy he was with? Sometimes people just agree with stuff to fit in. Know what I mean? I think I would just decide how much you really want to know this guy. If its something you really want, then do it. You may be the one to change his mind about gays. If not, then move on.

4. surfrboykai

are you right by doing what, exactly?

anyways, my take on it is this: distance yerself, but like, not totally. don't befriend him, just be an acquaintance. you don't know if he's covering up the fact that he's gay (kinda unlikely, but still a possibility), just tryin to impress the homophobes, or perhaps he's like, violent towards gays. just be careful brah

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lots of people go along with really stupid shit, in high school and, sadly, all through life. So it's possible he might just be going along with what people are saying to fit in. But yeah, in cases like that, I always say get the person alone and then see what they're like. And then you gotta figure out if he has the backbone to be himself in front of others, if himself is different from what other people are saying and doing.

6. Jeimuzu

Ask why he thinks it's disgusting. Don't come out to him, but say something like "I know a couple of really cool guys who're gay," making it clear that you're pro-gay, but without actively telling him your sexuality. And if you're a bad liar, keep in mind there's plenty of cool gay guys here, so you're not actually lying.

But yeah, do it when it's just you two.

7. kevinx519

haha. sweet. thanks guys. he did say some things, but for the most part i think it was the other guy. i know the other person, and he's a huge homophobe. -_-