1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one tell a person of the same sex that we're in love with them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Super Trouper, Jul 2, 2010.

1. without freaking them out, preferebly :s

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey and welcome to EC I believe you are new :slight_smile:

Do you mean how do you tell one of your female friends that is straight that you love them?

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Well, in my personal experience, and my friend Isaiah's who only likes straight men..

It's better not to.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it can be very difficult, im sure lots more people will be able to give you better advice based on personal experience. I have fortunately never had to deal with that situation.
    I think the best thing to do can be different depending on the people involved, how you think they will react, what you want to get from telling them/not telling them and how you feel about it.

Do you think your friend is definately 100% straight or could she be bisexual.

Does she know that you are gay?

5. she's 100% straight, and she has no idea I'm bisexual

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then in my opinion maybe it would be better to tell her that first and see how she takes it. Do you think she will be accepting?
    How long have you been friends with her?

7. hum... we've been friends for 3 years... we're both 16 and we've known each other since the 8ยบ grade

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know what her views are like on gay people?

9. I don't think she's homophobic or anything, but... If I told her, our relationship would never be the same again

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well on one hand you could tell her. This could go one of two ways:

1. She could be shocked, but flattered. She may not feel the same way about you, but you won't be left wondering what could have happened in thirty years time.

2. She will probably still be shocked in this case too, but let's just say it may not go as smoothly.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but people rarely tell someone with whom they're just friends that they love them and have those feelings reciprocated entirely.

On the other hand you could not tell her, guarantee your friendship won't come to an abrupt end (I'm not saying it will, that's just worst case scenario), and just give these feelings time to fade away - as they often do.

The choice of whether or not to tell her is one that only you can make. I can say if I were in your shoes I would not tell her that you love her, at least not right away. Wait a while; see if it is really love or just a crush.

You could start by telling her you're Bisexual. Base your further revelations on her reaction from that. I would still hold off on telling her you love her though.

You're young, chances are it's just a crush. I do not doubt what you've said about being in love with her by any means, but just wait and see.

Oh, and welcome to EC. :smilewave

11. thanks for all your advice, I'm not gonna gonna tell her that I'm bi or that I love her, I think it's best to just try to see her that way..

12. Inhuman

If they're straight, never tell them. You will freak them out.

If not, then tell them the way you'd tell anyone else ^.^

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I wouldn't. I've had a crush on straight guy for like 2 years and haven't told him 'cause it wouldn't matter. They're straight. We'll find someone someday, but this is just something we have to go through.

14. Meropspusillus

Exactly. Be cautious about this, I know I'd be kinda freaked out if a female friend of mine told me she had a crush on me, much less that she was in love with me. Don't expect anything to come of this. I wouldn't advise telling her anything unless you need to tell her to get it off your chest: strictly for you. However, be prepared for your relationship to change. I mean it might not, she might be flattered and everything will be jolly, she might be weirded out and grow distant and your friendship will disappear. It's all up to you to decide what is best both for you and for your friendship.

15. ok455

Don't tell her your attracted to her that might creep her out and she might stop being your friend.

#16 ok455, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010