1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are bad coming outs a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Étoile

I rarely read or hear of bad coming outs anymore. I'm talking about the ones with screaming matches, Bible bitch-slaps, therapy sessions or church attendances to 'treat' you, physical attacks, kicking out, and/or total end of friendships.

Either people are totally accepting and happy, nonchalont and treat you the same way, curious and ask a bunch of questions, or a little disappointed but eventually accept it.

Of course, not all stories are shared and discussed.

2. theJosephDean

Hmm, I've still heard of a bunch lately. I've yet to experience one, but then again, my extended super-Christian family doesn't know... so I might. =/

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of them on EC, relatively recently. Among the bad ones, the majority do eventually end up fine, but a lot of parents freak out initially, say rude or mean things, threaten things, and the like... though the actual incidence of encounters where a teen is thrown out of his or her house is, thankfully, a lot less common (at least in most western countries) than it was 20 years ago.

The "straight camps" are still filled with people, ignorant, closeted asshats like George Rekers still spout their venom, and parents still make poor decisions out of ignorance, fear, or religious dogma. But it is definitely much better than it was 20 years ago.

4. Apocalypte

They do still happen, but not as often as they used to, thankfully. I know I've only ever had one really bad reaction, which resulted in me breaking off all communication with a friend.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait for when I come out again. :slight_smile: