1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does gay/lesbian/Bisexual mean to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Jul 5, 2010.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

So tell me what does your orientation identity (either gay/lesbian/Bisexual/other) Mean to you? (I would like people to use this starter please but if you have a better one use it)
    For me being (insert your orientation here) is....

For me being gay is well just a word, a describer and a it does not affect me one tiny bit except a word used to describe my sexual orientation, that is is there wise to me it is meaningless

2. theJosephDean

Though when I'm talking with friends, I'll call myself gay, I don't really choose one of the labels when being honest. The reason I just tell people I'm a Kinsey 5 is because though I've a high attraction to males, I have been in (albeit unsuccessful) relationships with females and there's always the rare girl that I can find myself attracted to. I can't completely call myself gay.

That being, I'm not bisexual because in general, men turn me on - women don't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Identifying as such isn't just a phrase or a word to me, but simply who I am. It's a part of me, just like being an atheist and a vegetarian is a part of me. I believe people should not be categorised based on their characteristics or identifications, but they are very important aspects of them that should be appreciated.

If any of that made any sense at all :slight_smile: ^_^

3. British Lad

British Lad Guest

that is not what asking i am asking what does that word mean to you?

4. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    For me being gay is a label so other people can identify the fact i have a sexual attraction to the same sex. It's not who I am but part of me.

5. Rikudo

Gay= liking men
    Lesbian= liking women
    Bi= liking both

It's as simple as that.

6. VampConspiracy

For me, being bisexual is having the capability to make those strong emotional bonds you may call "love" with anybody regardless of what's inside their pants. Sexual activities are secondary; the primary goal is the reciprocating of emotions. Forget the junk you see on Empty-V and MyScrape, and forget the stereotypical whore.

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This

8. 4 seat

Exactly. ^That's what they mean. If you're a man and you like men, you're gay. If you're a woman and you like women you're a lesbian. If you like both sexes, you're bisexual. If you're unsure, then you're unsure and for all orientations, whether you verbalize it or not, there's always the rare(or more common) incident where you're attracted to the sex you don't identify as initially being attracted to. I don't understand why having the label is such an issue for yourself if that's what you are. But I guess that's just me.

9. British Lad

British Lad Guest

obviously you did not get the point, what do those word mean to YOU, not there really meaning, what do you in your own head what do they mean, are they meaning less discipers to you or are they much more meaningful? that is the question i was asking

10. Spectre

They're words used to describe sexual orientation. Nothing more. Just because they don't have some profound meaning to other people (i.e., their meanings are simple and of the norm) doesn't mean people aren't getting the point.

11. 4 seat

No, I did get the point. They don't mean anything more to me than sexual orientation.

12. Rikudo

Nope there meaning to me is as simple as that. I don't understand the need to somehow complicate things. Being gay shouldn't define who you are it's just another piece of you.

13. AlyssWonderland

I did get the point. They're just words to describe orientation.

14. settlingsound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To me... the word gay/bi/lesbian/trans means a part of who we are, as a human race we are all diverse and have many great differences between each other. Being gay/bi/lesbian/trans is just to show how beautiful we all are.

15. Inhuman

To me, being non-straight/gay means that I'm into guys more than girls and probably gay. It comments on who I find attractive, and has nothing to say about my gender identity or any part of me.

Smiles

16. GhostDog

It did make sense and you basically got across the gist of what I would've said anyway. =P

"Lesbian" is a word that I feel currently best describes an element of myself. It's not an insignificant element of my identity, since what it describes has undeniably shaped my experiences and I would probably be a different person if I hadn't had those experiences. Realizing that part of myself has led to a lot of positive changes in my life and I am so much happier for it. But it's not all-encompassing, either.

At heart I prefer thinking of myself as queer, but I don't normally feel like explaining that one to people. =P