1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Jul 5, 2010.

1. starfish

Looks like this is starting to come together. I have to go to Buffalo, NY next month for a family event. Seeing as how Toronto is only a 2 hour drive, I want to spend a few extra days in Toronto. Looks like I am going to have three and a half days in Toronto.

So what should I do what I am there? Other than visit the CN tower.

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Leave. Immediately. Toronto is the armpit of Canada.
    Also, I am extremely biased having been raised in the West and only having visited Toronto four times (and each time it was lamesauce).

3. Just Adam

Have a cold beer. That's all I got to offer

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That was on some article.

5. starfish

Thanks Steven some of those look fun.

What is the name of that coffee chain in Canada,Tom Hortons, Tim Hortons, something like that.

A few things I have on my want to do list:

Smoke a Cuban cigar
    Visit the CN tower
    Have sex with a hockey player.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

It's Tim Hortons.

Their sandwiches are amazing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. jazzrawr

Om nom nom Timmies. :grin:
    Almost everyone in Canada gets coffee or food from Tim Horton's at least once a week. XD That's a must.
    I'd say do some downtown stuff, there are great little shops around Chinatown and Kensington street as well as the cool commercial stuff on Queens street.
    You could see some plays, Toronto has a relatively good drama selection.

Oh, and most definitely go to Canada's Wonderland. It's just outside Toronto, easy to catch a bus there, and it's a pretty badass amusement park. It's as good as most Six Flags.
    Casa Loma is cool, very pretty, and the boardwalk is relaxing - lots of volleyball and beach soccer games all the time, that you can jump in on. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I actually love Toronto.

#7 jazzrawr, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. adam88

That's what we Torontonians say about Quebec in general (except for poutine, sugar pie and certain historic districts) so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for what to do, there's lots of tourist guides and stuff, but what was already posted is a good start. I would suggest lots of walking, TO's a fairly safe city and great to walk around. I'd suggest hitting Queen street, Yonge street, pretty much the entire Bloor annex etc.

9. xequar

I love ya dear, you know this, but you're in Quebec. That's beyond the pot calling the kettle black in this case! :icon_wink:roflmao:

Go to Tim Horton's, although they also exist in Upstate New York and the Detroit area. Tim Hortons for the fucking win! Eat poutine. How do you make fries better? Drown them in gravy and cheese, that's how! It's possibly even better than chili cheese fries at a coney joint in Detroit.

And I'm shocked that no one's told you to go hit Church and Wellesley yet, which is the gay village in TO. Take in a drag show. Go to Woody's on Sunday night at 6:00, have a drink, and watch Miss Conception do her act. Tip generously! Tip very very generously! Paper money only, or you'll look like a cheap ass American!

And yeah, do some of that other stuff people were on about. Toronto's a great city, so take it in and enjoy it!

10. starfish

Thanks, Xequar. That is some great info. I am looking at hotel rooms and I wanted to get somewhere with in walking distance of the clubs.

11. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Church and Wellesley- enjoy :slight_smile:

12. Myke

Myke Guest

Xequar beat me to it. I was going to say there's Tim Horton's in parts of the US.
    Some food that apparently you can only get in Canada (correct me if i'm wrong)
    Ketchup Chips
    All Dressed Chips
    Coffee Crisps
    and of course the Poutine

You can probably stop by Niagara Falls on your way to Toronto. There's a boat that brings you up and close to the falls.

I've only been the Toronto once so I don't have much input as to what to do.

13. starfish

Yes I'll see Niagra Falls. I am sending three nights on the Canadian side before I head up to Toronto. Several family members will be there so I'm not worry about finding stuff to do while I am there.

I am looking at a hotel called The Bond Place Hotel. Any experiences. The reviews seem pretty good. It is near Dundas street and Younge Street. According to google it is about a 15 minutes walk to Church and Wellesley.

I have read about a place called Queer West Village. Looks like it might be a nice place to spend some time, but not sure I want to stay in that area.

Any experience with Toronto's subway system? Is it safe? I don't think there is going to be much missing that I am an American. Especially once I open my mouth. I've been told my Texan accent gets pretty bad at times.

Also I saw some mention about weird parking regulations. I am driving up from Buffalo. Anything I should be aware of? I figure at night I'll park the car at the hotel. I plan to spend at least 1 day just driving around the area seeing what stuff I can find.

14. haelmarie

Go to Tim Hortons if you must, but I'm warning you, it's not very good.

And they have super annoying commercials.

It's safe but it's always breaking down.

15. adam88

LOL too true. :grin: Yeah, it's pretty safe, but the TTC has very idiosyncratic old ways of doing things. IE they only take cash, token or month/day passes, the automated token machines are often broken, the transfer system is confusing to those who don't know the system etc.

16. xequar

You should be just fine in terms of safety. My Michigan accent gives me away in Canada, and I've never had any kind of problems. And Timmie's is so great! I drive out of my way on the way to work just to hit Timmie's for a coffee.

Correct. I actually picked up a couple of bags of All-Dressed Ruffles and Coffee Crisp bars before I came back to Michigan this weekend. And yes, Poutine does not exist on this side of the border.

Dundas and Younge is right downtown, so it should be a lot of fun, and yeah, it's not too far of a walk to Church Street from there. Parking in TO is a bitch. Parking is enforced all day, every day, including Sunday, and watch yourself because not only are there a shit-ton of tow zones in Toronto, random streets randomly become tow zones at random times (usually during rush hours, so watch for signs). As a question, what state are your license plates from? If they're not from New York, just ignore paying for parking. Ontario's enforcement mechanism works by not allowing people with unpaid tickets to renew their license plates. However, it is not compatible with any other Canadian province or 49 of the 50 United States, with New York being the oddball. I literally have a stack of tickets somewhere that I've never bothered to pay.

The best way to do parking is find a Green P lot, or pay for the hotel garage, and just leave your car there and take cabs or subways or streetcars everywhere. A cab ride from Gerrard and Parliament in Cabbagetown to downtown is only about $10-$12.

17. adam88

I second the "Park somewhere out of the downtown core and TTC/walk everywhere" idea. :slight_smile: Plus, you get a good feel for the city on foot. :slight_smile:

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go see a Broadway if you like that. It's not New York, but it's still good :grin:

19. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    :lol: Oh I want to see them march 14 large hippos up the CN tower now to prove a point. Although what separates a large slightly obese hippo from a regular hippo? What weight are we talking about on the Hippo BMI scale?