1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does the word gay usually include lesbians to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alan t, Jul 8, 2010.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So there's a specific word just for gay women which is lesbian but the word gay is sometimes used for all homosexual people and sometimes specifically for men.

Why is that?? I find it interesting that even lgbt terminology is affected by these sexist forms of language, where one word is used for both men and people in general while there's another word to specify women.

maybe because there are fewer gay women out so people end up associating the word gay with men?

2. ANightDude

I always thought it was because "gay" is easier to say.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I find it odd too. To me, a gay person includes anyone who is homosexual.

4. VampConspiracy

I honestly don't know. It may have historical significance, however (from Etymology Online):

Regarding "lesbian":
    The story of the word "gay" is a bit less compelling, and its homosexual denotations have been around for a lesser amount of time.

Regarding "gay":

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use "gay" for myself because I don't really like the word lesbian. I also don't like describing myself as a noun, I prefer to use adjectives - I feel more comfortable saying "I'm gay" or "I'm queer" than "I'm a lesbian", I don't really know why.

6. AlyssWonderland

Agreed with this. Since I'm somewhere between a Kinsey 3 and 5 (it changes) my friends ask me how much of a lesbian I am that day. I usually say "I'm around... 60% gay today." I like the sound of that better than "I'm 60% a lesbian today"...

7. MusicIsLife

I use both, but I also enjoy calling myself a "Sapphist" for the fun of it, especially when I tell someone and the reference goes completely over their head.

8. VampConspiracy

I gave the background of the words, yet didn't say what I used... Oops.

I do distinguish between "gay" and "lesbian." It it simpler to think in those terms. However, I'm not shocked to see a woman call herself "gay," since it is actually a quite ambiguous word.

A guy should never call himself a "lesbian," though, especially considering the etymology.

9. Prccgeek

for me it is does...but that might be just because I don't really like the term lesbian for myself and I therefore call myself gay

10. partietraumatic

i have to say when the word 'gay' is used, i always apply it solely to men. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lesbian call herself gay, but when someone says it, only men come to my mind!

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I usually use the word "gay" to refer only to men, and when I say "the gay community", I usually just mean gay men; I'll say "the GLBT community" if I want to refer to gays and lesbians.

12. Apocalypte

Took the words right out of my mouth.

13. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Gay for me means both men and women. Lesbian is not relay a word I use, but if some folk want to use it so be it.

I always amused that Lesbian was a word that gay women used to separate them from the wider gay community so they could freely speak about issues specific to them. For example if i were to talk about gay adoption, the image that springs to most people's minds would be two men adopting. It is pretty sexist I suppose.

14. AnneChaos

AnneChaos Guest

I rarely ever use the word lesbian...I don't know why though xD The word "gay" is prettier xD

When I don't use the word "bisexual" for me, I say "gay".

15. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

My best friend's Mom is a lesbian and she refers to herself as "gay". I think it just depends on the person, like whatever they call themselves/want to be called.

I honestly feel weird saying "she's a lesbian", it makes me feel like I'm calling her one or something idk how to explain lol would it be proper to say "she's lesbian"?

16. GhostDog

Also, just from an "agh, leave me alone, dude" standpoint, "gay" is less sexually charged for straight guys than "lesbian". I've been told that male suitors are more likely to give up if you say, "I'm gay" than "I'm a lesbian" (which may only egg them on), though I haven't personally had that problem.

I'll say "gay" for either gender, and when I'm talking about issues relating to a specific gender, I'll say "gay men" or "gay ladies". Or "gay women", I suppose, but I like the sound of "gay ladies" =P

I'll call myself either, but most of the time, I prefer saying "gay" to "lesbian", mostly for the noun versus adjective reason. It's like saying "I am like this" rather than "I am a thing that is like this". If that makes sense.

17. littledinosaurs

To me, gay includes women. Also, for the sake of making conversations easier, sometimes my friend & I use it to really cover the whole LGBT spectrum.

18. British Lad

British Lad Guest

For me gay is a word I use to tell people I like the same gender and that is all, anything else has no meaning, basic i will screw who I want to screw and if they don't like it tough.

19. Ralivar

Personally, and I couldn't say why, but I associate the word gay with men only. I have the same sort of view with the word homosexual I tend to associate it with men only.

I'm not sure if its a gender thing, from what I know and from my experience it seems that guys associate the word gay with men only whilst women will associate the word gay with both men and women. This is probably a a major generalisation and I may be completely wrong but that's how it seems to me.

20. sleeb

My thoughts exactly. I also hate the word bisexual. And given the fact that I tend to slide on one side of the Kinsey scale, I stick to calling myself gay.
    Gay to me means men and women.