1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

immigration

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by surfrboykai, Sep 13, 2007.

1. surfrboykai

it's a fact that america has many immigrants arriving daily, with some being legal, others being illegal. now like, i fully support the influx of immigrants that want to make a better life for themselves. most of us are here because of that dream.

what i cannot stand are the people that don't even try to learn our language. yes, i understand that learning a second language as an adult is difficult. however, i believe it should be expected. i don't think it's right that, in order to like, function in a workplace in this country, we have to know like, all these different languages. i'm sorry, but i think immigrants should have to learn our language, instead of the other way around.

my father's parents moved to america in 1959 from tonga. they had to learn english, and they gladyl did so. matter of fact, they refused to speak tongan in their own house. the only time they would speak tongan is when they would name a food. they had their neighbor's daughter teach them english by going to the movies and having the daughter translate. so it's not like it can't be done.

i'm sorry for this little tirade. but like i said, i deal with it everyday. and it's nothing personal, and it's not just against latinos. i have respect for anyone who's trying to learn out language. but like, i can't stand it when someone has to take a bilingual friend with them just to go shopping. or, worse yet, i hate the people who expect there to be someone working that can act as a translator.

i really don't mean to offend anyone, but that's how i feel. i fully support people moving to this country to better their lives. but do it legally, and please learn our language. if i moved to their country, i would be learning theirs.

2. Whitsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with you dude 100 % my dad moved here with his parent’s years ago, my dad was originally born in Australia.

3. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Eventually living in a country you should pick up the language, and to become and American citizen legally, you need to know the basic language. I think people should try to get in legally, but I don't blame them for wanting to come here. Some are very nice too, although I don't support it I can't say... ok, well, this is coming out wrong so I'll stop

4. surfrboykai

i know they need to know the basics to become legal. there's two problems: the first is that like, most of these people are not legal, and have no desire to become legal citizens. the second is that a lot of the people who do become legal only learn enough to pass the test. then they're back to their native language, and back to expecting translators everywhere they go. and actually getting pissed when there is no translator.

like today, for example. this haitian dude barely knew any english at all. so like, he asked a question, and i said i didn't understand. now, i have a few haitian co-workers, so i recognized that one of the questions was that he was askin if anyone spoke creole. so, i told him no, and he started to yell, stomp, and hit my counter top.

5. davo-man

I totally agree with you. I don't think we have as bad a problem with illegal immigrants, because our country doesn't border the land of another country, but there are still some imigrants that attempt to enter the country with boats...anyway that's not the point i was making

I work in a large shop, and every shift i have, there is at least one person who does not speak English that goes through my register. I mean I don't mind that immigrants come to Australia, in fact I welcome it. Diversity is what makes a culture great, but i think that after around about 3 months, you chould at least learn the basics of the language. For instance, if i was to go on a holiday to France, I probably wouldnt learn the language (although i would take a translator dictionary). On the other hand, if i had to move to France for my job, then i would expect people to expect me to learn French, and i would.

So, yeah, totally agree with you

6. ok455

I agree with you that if anyone comes in the country they should Learn the language. And i wish the country would find a way to stop illegal immigrants.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is a tough issue even for more liberal people. I believe that people that have lived here and have children who are legal should be given the opportunity to become legal. Also, we should really try to help those who want and can learn English. But, we also have to remember that English is the most difficult language to learn and it may be an impossible task for some. Most countries are bilangual and learn several languages in school. I think that is a good thing for the U.S. too! So for those reasons, I don't support English as being the "official" language.

As for the Haitian guy who pitched a fit above........well he's just rude.

8. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I just found out that this receptionist that works with my step-mom just got deported.She spoke great english and worked hard.She only got deported for having an expired work visa and sent back to Puerto Rico.

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Ha we have even more XD

10. surfrboykai

there's a difference between like, going to a country on vaycay and actually living there. i'm not expecting vacationers to learn the language.

i fully agree that we should help those that wanna learn english in any way possible. also, english isn't the most difficult language to learn, but it is up there. what makes english difficult to learn is that like, unlike most languages, our vowels have no set sound. they change depending on like, a lot of things.

11. SpikySpice

Before we cam ehere, my family, all of us learned Englsih as hard as we can, but the way they taught us theer are so wrong so we have to start over again here which my sis and me are doing really good now

But my dad, he dosent have much tiem because he works so hard that he always comes home liek in teh middle of the night, when everybody was sleeping

But he managed to learn by himself day by day , but still has some problesm with it

And I have to agree with everyoen above, as you see so many peopel come to thsi countries each day, and they should respect that they are here, because tehy have a good chnace for their American Dream, some come here just to satisfy their purposes which not benefited for others, You are here, you gotta folow the legal rule, you are also a part of it, so you have to do thinsg that benefit fo ryourself as well as others, you have to give in order to recieve

And about the language again, we speak my language at home, but me speak 2 languages, I sometimes got blamed bout why i never speaked my language in front of adults. But we want to keep our cultrure, we understand that we have to respect teh American culture since we live here, we need them, not they need us, but we want to be ourselves

There are many kids who are borned here and dont know anything bout my countriy, they even forget about the language? Why, because their parents never teached them, becasue they wanted to forget bout their ancestors and where they came from

12. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Learn English. My ancestor's came here from Germany and Italy. They all learned English. And, my stepmom and her family are from Cuba, and they all learned English as well.

What happened is, people around the world got this idea in their head that it's like a God-given right to come to this country, and never thought of having to learn English. That's why they drag their heals over learning the language.

13. surfrboykai

i blame the fuckin ACLU for that shit. the ACLU is like a double-edged sword. on one hand, they totally stand up for the basic rights of everyone. on the other hand, they'll take on anything, no matter how in the wrong they are. i think the ACLU needs to be stopped.

yes, they've done a great amount of good in the past. however, their current deeds like, totally outweigh their old ones.

"are you black and are guilty of a crime? we here at the ACLU believe you have been wronged!" give me a fuckin break

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes, they're so totally out of control. *rolls eyes* Definitely a top priority facing the US.

Sez you.

Right. I'm just so sure that's their official policy. And even if it were, how does it harm you?

Like truly, so some people don't learn English... do you ever expend any of your obviously considerable passion on something that affects you in any kind of serious way? Or on anything that isn't all "glass always half empty?"

For instance, if you really think illegal immigration in the US is just a bunch of uppity Mexicans who think it's their right to be in America... I mean, my gosh. The mind just boggles.

You have a lot of very "this is the way it is" opinions which don't seem to leave room for any other points of view, even though you always pose them like questions. The world is hardly as black and white as you make it out to be. And something that you might want to think about is that we see the world as we understand it to be, we notice the things we expect to notice... and we quite often dismiss the stuff that challenges our pre-existing point of view. So you might want to think about making fewer proclamations and doing a bit more soulsearching.

I find, as someone with strong opinions, starting with "Maybe I don't actually know everything..." usually helps.

15. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Joey, come on now. Don't try to play everyone by pretending you're the expert on everything. You make a lot of posts that totally downplay the intelligence of people, like you're some superior minded person. No one buys it.

Having 12 million illegals in America, millions of whom don't speak any English, is a MAJOR problem for America. Some would agrue it's the biggest problem. And yes, Joey, they do believe it's their right to be in America. You're a Canadian so I wouldn't expect you to come across too many illegal immigrants in America, but if you ever ask them (the ones who speak English) why they came to our country, most of them will say (the ones I've spoken to anyway) they came here because everyone deserves to have a shot at the American dream. There was also a Dateline show about a year ago where they interviewed illegas in jail, and they all said the same thing. You shouldn't just assume you know things.

And I don't see what soulsearching he has to do. All he's doing is saying his opinion. You're the one who constantly feels the need to downplay everyone's opinions as simple stupidity; maybe you need to do some soulsearching to see why that is.

16. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

We have other problems just than immigration idk why people are getting worked up over this. this country is no ones and immigrants to me is bullshit. People who r here are legal and what not thats bull shit this land isnt no ones and if it had to belong to someone it wud be the native americans...but where are they now? In small clustered reservations in shit land that the US doesnt want. the us is all about money now that they see thousand of immigrants coming theyre guna try to make money off it charge for citizenship tests(alot of money than what they charge now) and buying 1yr visas to work. My mom came here because her husband died and she wanted a better life for my family. This is "The Land where dreams come true" and she came here and she doesnt speak english and o fucking what she has me for that my mom is a hard workin woman and so are all the other people who come here just to work. If ur guna go fuss and shit about something do it about the criminals all the violence we have the viloence in video games the news all they show is murder and then this country wonders why so many people r dying. Fuss over the way thats going on in Iraq some innocent immigrants r going over there hoping to come back be legal and start a new life. Why? cuz our home countrys r shit. In El Salvador we have our troop helping this country and still nothing than a mere legalization thing that u need alot to qualify for. Theres murder over there and they replace our money(Colon) with the US dollar which has fucked up the economy. Mayb if the us allowed more jobs over the world helped other countries with their economy and wasnt so god dam stupid mayb we wudnt have so many problems.

17. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

And for the immigrants who come and have children and then they get deported like the Mexican Woman on the news they shud be able to stay. Why? Because the children r scarred for life and have no one to take care of them and would most of the time end up in crimes and felony .

18. Psych!

Psych! Guest

WTH! There's no way that should have happened.

I'm from PR and even if you do or don't speak great English, Puertoricans have US Citizenship for being a commonwealth of the US. I live in the US and being born in a commonwealth i automatically have citizenship. It's weird that someone that should have it be deported.

19. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

How the hells Puerto Ricans get deported? lol i didnt even know they cud i thought they cud come in and go when ever they wanted sonce theyre a common wealth. I think the US shud hry up and make them a state

20. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Ah! But I thought I had read somewhere that Puerto Rico does NOT want to become a state. I also spoke to my best friend (heh heh) who is Puerto Rican (2nd generation born in the states) and he concurs that Puerto Rico is content being a commonweath. I will look for the info and see if I can link it. I too questioned how a Puerto Rican could get deported.