1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A safe and warm place...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LorenzG1950, Sep 14, 2007.

1. LorenzG1950

When I found EC, I had just discovered that I was gay. A year and a half later, I am constantly amazed at the maturity of EC members and the quality of the advice that they provide. To me, you aren’t “kids” because you handle yourselves better than many adults. That’s one of the main reasons I come to EC. I don’t know if I’ve really made any friends in the traditional meaning of the word, but I feel close to a lot of gay folks here, or those who are gay-friendly. The posts are overwhelmingly positive, precise, humorous, and caring.

EC is definitely a mix of nationalities and generations, a strange family of cyberpals who share common interests and feelings, beyond borders and ethnic backgrounds.

EC helped me to come out with confidence because a 16-year-old in Nova Scotia was struggling at the same time. At that moment, I needed a coming-out buddy. He just happened to be 41 years younger. I figured, geez, if he can do it, I certainly can. Thanks Brenton.

That’s the beauty of EC. It’s one of the few places where you can be completely honest without fear of reprisal from relatives, street buddies, or the homophobes we all encounter every day. Providing such a forum to a worldwide audience is no easy task. It takes the intense engagement of moderators like Paul, Dave, TriBi, and our favorite PFLAG mom, Becky. Then there are the often brilliant, humorous, or scathing comments by Joeyconnick, by far the most gifted columnist with insight and bite :eusa_clap .

I’ll quit naming names after I mention just 3 more who constantly inspire me (There are more but I didn’t want this to get too long). SpikySpice, Kimi, and Jayden. Gosh, what a privilege it would be to have sons like that! Yeah, I’d adopt them anytime.

It’s that feeling of “family” that I experience whenever I stop by. There are “feel good” stories, happy endings, maybe a hug, a suicide prevented, a glimmer of hope for a frustrated young adult (I was gonna say “kid”), sitting in front of his PC somewhere in the world, dripping great big tears of hope on his keyboard. That’s downright amazing, well beyond awesome, and the most beautiful expression of caring that I’ve ever seen on any web site (&&&) .

Thanks guys and gals, mods and lurkers. EC is a safe and warm place, an oasis in the desert. That needs to be said once in a while.

Yes, I miss having my own kids :icon_sad: (there, I said it). Then again, I have so many beautiful souls right here. (goes to bathroom to wipe nose and other leaking orifices) I could just slap every parent that doesn’t have the wisdom or the tolerance to accept their kids the way they are. Don’t hate your parents. Teach them. And then do it better when you have the chance. Be forgiving.

That’s my sermon for this Sunday, my vision of Christianity (or any other religion), the way it should be. :soapbox:

2. davo-man

Well said, and i agree every bit...I love this oasis in the desert, and i also appreciate all the work that goes into making it what it is.

Good on you mods for doing such a good job!!! and Thanks heaps!

3. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i find the long posts hard to under stand but i read it a few times and under stand what you mean and are saying. i feel good also when im on EC becuase i get teased at school and only have a few friends and have more friends now more than ever because of EC. im glad you are also happy here lorenz!!!(*hug*) i look forward to looking at the posts every day on EC also!!!

4. Jeimuzu

I'm on a couple of other forums, like the sister site to this, and yet I'm starting to like this a little more. It's not quite as active - the sister site is massive - but this is free of a lot of the drama. There're racists, religious zealots, bigots, the lot. Here, we're pretty much free of them, and that's what I really like here. :slight_smile:

5. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

There's no anger,nothing but love and that's why I love it here!

6. Jim1454

Thanks Lorenz! I completely agree! If the young people here can deal with the obstacles that they do, then I can deal with mine. And if I'm able to share the wisdom that comes with years, then I will - much as you do as well. This truly is a remarkable (virtual) gathering place - harnessing the power of the internet for 'good'.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ahhh...... that was very touching Lorenz! Thank you and I totally agree with you about all the very mature, caring individuals here. Personally, I think GLBT people are gifted. When is the rest of the world gonna figure this out! (&&&)

8. Kimi

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that was so sweet!!!!!!!!!!(*hug*) (*hug*)
    How marvelous it would be to have a father like you!!!!*looking at my dad and sigh*

An oasis in the desert...I couldn't describe this place any better than that!!!!
    This place is filled with great people and lots of fun!!!! Like Vegas...except there isn't much great people...but

Anyways, it was great way to realize again how great this place is and appreciate people who is putting lots of effort to keep this place(*hug*) (*hug*)

9. panda

Thanks Lorenz.Great words!Beautiful thoughts.

10. Kibuki kid

Wonderful,truly wonderful. You're right Lorenz these are the things we need to say more often. Its great to be here among all you great people....gosh i think im goning to cry!

11. Kibuki kid

That really brightened my day, thanks!

12. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Great post Lorenz. I could not have written it better.

13. ok455

Yes i totally agree with you. Its nice to be your self and open about everything. And have Mature responses And the mods are wonderful here.

14. pete92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also agree, I think this site is great! I really have to thank Jayden in the first place for telling me about it.

15. Micah

Thank-you Lorenz. Everyone here truly is caring and meaningful, and that's the reason why EC is what it is. Because of everyone here!

16. Tom

Tom Guest

lorenz i have 2 agree with every word that u wrote, ive luckily not had any troubles as of such but i know that when i do EC and the friends ive made here will be able 2 help me more than what i ever imagined when i first signed up, and now im just so happy ive met so many wondeful people!

(&&&) (&&&)

17. SpikySpice

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

I just kept smilinG whne I read your post, Loren, it was wonderful and touching:tears:thank you very much(*hug*)

Actually, I listened to what peopel say, get their ideas into my head an dremembered them. I talked to my mom on the phone every saturday, and she teaches me lots of things, so I can becoem a good son. And all teh things I said on here are from her mouth, lol:slight_smile:

But my mom and dad are devorced and mom said she wont return to this family, so I stay home alone everyday, really bored so i came here and talked to people,and i wish everyoen in school is as nice as people here(*hug*) This place is considered as my second family, since I dont talk much to anyoen in my fam, except when mom calls me on Saturday nights

Once again, thnaks Loren, I found out I learned something more from your post. I sometiems got mad at my parents fro not caring much about me, mom is gone and dad is always busy, by the time he came home, Im already on bed. I used to hate my mom for leaving us:cry:, but I know it's my destiny, so i had to accept it and I learned your soul is happy whne you forgive someone, you dont feel heavy anymore:slight_smile:

Your words meant alot to me(*hug*)Thanks Alot, Loren

a

#17 SpikySpice, Sep 15, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  18. Bryan

You said it: this site is the best!!

19. TriBi

*Feelz Good* :icon_bigg

...and I bet Paul feels good too (even if he is too humble to come in and say so :wink:)

Thx Lorenz - and everyone else. (*hug*)

20. BiBeki101

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well said !!!! this is a great place where everyone can be themselves no matter what !!