1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sloths?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Latinokid, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Does anyone know if its legal to have a sloth in the US or any state? I have always loved animals since i was little and wanted to be a zoologist. Mayb ill get a sloth later on in life .....if their legal.(!)

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

NEW YORK

Regulation is by the NY State Department of Environment Conservation - Fish and Wildlife - Special Licenses in Albany, NY and by the NY City Department of Health - Animal Affairs - Veterinary Public Health Services. The state requires that any pet primate not be on their NY State endangered animal list which is similar, but different, from CITES Appendix I. The city which includes the five boroughs has a ban on all primate ownership, requires that any pet not be an ape (chimpanzee, etc.. and I've been told that no exemptions are given for pet ape ownership). State requires that all Centers of Disease Control and Federal Regulations be followed, which means the pet must be captive-bred and you maintain written proof all of its ancestors came to the US before October 1975. No permits/licenses/fees are required for pet primates in the State. City has banned primate ownership
    That's all I could find

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Hmm... sloths aren't primates, though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I dunno if it would be legal or not. I'm guessing that it would not be, as it would undoubtedly involve removing a sloth from its environment, since there aren't any commercial sloth breeders I've ever heard of.

What a weird desire to have, but a cool one! I like sloths, too. However, since they have a very specialized, slow-acting diet it would be very difficult to keep it healthy and fit.

4. Kimi

That's what I was thinking too.
    Sloths are nocturnal so I think it will be really hard for you to keep him/her healthy.

Maybe if you become zoologist you can work with them:slight_smile:

Tho it will be so cool to have one as a pet:icon_wink

5. Ciel

Ciel Guest

Baby sloths are so cute!! XD
    But...other than that, I know nothing about if their legal or not...

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You could try asking at a local animal rescue centre or animal welfare charity. If they don't know themselves they would probably know how you could find out.

7. pete92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could someone post a picture one?

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

9. pete92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Paul. I didn't know what one was. They are cute!

10. surfrboykai

i think you need a license if you want to own one. kinda like with a tiger. and i think like, in order to get a license, you either need to prove that you plan on becoming a sanctuary of some sorts, or have enough money to bribe with

11. Tom

Tom Guest

may be off topic but if u do get a sloth then i may have 2 visit cus i love all animals and a sloth seems like a weird but amazinly cool pet tht i wud love 2 meet!

12. EthanS

EthanS Guest

A sLOTH!?? lol why wud u want one of them??