1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English Paper on LGBT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XxToshixX, Jul 14, 2010.

1. XxToshixX

Hii There!!! Umm For English We have to write a paper and I'm Doing mine On LGBT People and pretty much like what we have to go through. Here's What I Have So Far, But I Was Wondering If You Guys/Girls Might Have Any Suggestions Or Stuff I Could Put In It To Make It Better? It's important to me that the paper really shows like what a constant struggle we all go through and all that so yeah. Anyway, Here's What I Have So far.

What typically happens when there is something presented in our lives that we know almost nothing about? More often than not, the things in our lives that we are ignorant about are often feared and/or hated. We, as humans, are quick to judge things based on either the little we may know about it, or we just usually avoid it all-together. Homosexuality is my favorite thing to inform people about because many, many people are unaware of many of the facts about LBGT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender) people, and many facts they may have and believe are often misconstrued and untrue. People are often fed untrue information about LGBT people and if they really knew the facts about them and the kind of things they have to go through in their lives than their opinions might just change about them.

Another thing that people may or may not be aware of is what the rights are for LGBT people and how much they differ from the rights of non-LGBT people, at least in the US. Currently in the US, there are many rights that, for LGBT people are either altered or just denied entirely. For example, in most states, all “unmarried” couples are not allowed to adopt children, but since gay marriage is not allowed in those particular states, gay people would never be allowed to adopt regardless. The state of Mississippi even states that “people of the same sex” are not allowed to adopt, no matter what the relationship between the two people may be. At a federal level, there are no laws forbidding housing or employment discrimination, and no recognition whatsoever of same-sex unions. Even in the cases where gay marriage was allowed, the marriage is still denied all of the protections and benefits of a marriage between a man and a woman. Gay bashing is also the most socially acceptable form of hatred. If someone was going around saying a bunch of racist remarks all the time, in this day and age, they would most likely wind up in a lot of trouble, but even when people say terrible and very uncalled for remarks about LGBT people, more often than not nothing is said or done about it because it’s just acceptable to say them. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that this is the way it is because in the USA, we should all be given the same exact rights regardless of the situation, and hatred of any kind should not be tolerated and seen as the norm.

“ Okay, so there’s a couple issues that gay people have, but it can’t be that bad can it? It’s not like they’re being publicly harassed by churches or something?” Even in most religious institution, LGBT people cannot even feel safe or welcomed. The Christian church and many branches of it have made it well known that they do not welcome anything to do with LGBT people. Branches such as the Roman Catholic Church, The Evangelical Church, and the Southern Baptist church continue to hold their view that homosexuals are immoral and sinful and are not welcomed in their community. The Westboro Baptist Church has made many demonstrations of their severe hatred of gays from publicly picketing with signs that have messages such as “ God Hates Fags” and “ Fags Doom America. “ It is absolutely ridiculous that people need to take such extreme measures just to demonstrate their hatred of someone, yet it happens all the time. It’s no different than racism, just an extreme hatred of another human being for a stupid reason, yet people seem to think such bad things about gay people all the time. Whether it is viewing them as promiscuous and immoral or whatever other stereotype people can think of to associate with gays. Nothing is going to change unless people change their way of thinking because if they continue to uphold their hatred for gays, and teach their children or whatever that gays are evil than the cycle is just going to continue.