1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Short film?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by notquitebutch, Jul 15, 2010.

1. notquitebutch

Hey everyone!

Are any of you familiar with the site filmfights.com? It's a really cool bi-monthly free online film fest type of thing.

One of the future fights is something called:

I had an idea to make something more serious and LGBT related, but since I've never made anything serious before, I'd like some opinions. I feel like it could be good, but I don't want to be that guy who thinks their idea is awesome but it really blows :'D

Okay, well I was thinking a group of people in a totally LGBT friendly time (not necessarily all LGBT, but maybe one or two, like a couple hanging out with straight friends or something) find a time capsule from our time with what we're fighting for now rights wise, hate crime cases, ect. They get really confused and emotional, because they're so used to LGBT being a normal thing that they can't even comprehend all of the hate people once faced. They have to 'deal with the contents', but I'm trying to go for an emotional dealing with instead of an OMG FIGHT ALIENS like most of the submissions over there.

I need to flesh it out more obviously, but is this stupid or should I try it?

2. notquitebutch

Oh, also, if you like the idea; would this work better as a silent film/very minimal dialogue, or should they talk about things? Keep in mind the 3:30min time limit. I'm leaning toward silent, but I'd like to hear opinions.

3. Markio

Well, if LGBT people of the future "forgot" the history of their struggle and had to be reminded by a time capsule, the conflict may be between them and the federal administration that would have omitted the historical wrong-doings from the education system.

4. notquitebutch

Edit;; Maybe the kids won't be totally oblivious... instead they can find it and either be thankful to the people who put the capsule together for making the world better because they fought for gay rights, or they can just find it, be like Wow that's awful blahblah blah and celebrate that they can be themselves?

I also thought maybe I should have a note in the capsule from LGBT kids now saying how they hope how whoever finds it is living in a time where discrimination is gone?

/jibberish. Writing as I think :B

#4 notquitebutch, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  5. notquitebutch

Okay, last post in a row, promise. I think I have a more solid premise though.

Scene 1- Intro
    A short into to the characters, their relationships with eachother, and the setting.

They will arrive on the beach for a normal day of fun. Montage of tanning, swimming, ect. Eventually, they decide to bury a friend in the sand for fun.

Scene 2- Finding the Capsule
    While digging a hole to bury their friend, one of the characters finds a time capsule and invites the group over to open it. At first, the group is excited. After seeing the homophobic contents the teens are innitially bewildered and disturbed. Even though there is a gay couple in the group, no one singles them out. They all have the same reaction, because LGBT people are fully accepted in this time.

Scene 3- Dealing with the Contents
    The group finds a note from a GSA of the past who made the capsule. They write about the fights they endure and the progress they have made, and how they hope that whoever is reading the note is living in a time where LGBT people are totally accepted and blend in with society like everyone else.

The scene ends with one of the gay kids writing their own note that says "Thank You", and putting the capsule back into the ground. The group runs off to swim to continue their day of fun at the beach.

Does that work?

6. MissA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey,

I was just wondering if you ever made this film? Or joined the competition?

Cause I'm making a short film right now and I wanted to address the LGBT "issue" in the film as it's something that's really close to my heart.

So I was wondering if you would mind if I used the idea? I'll probably make some changes to it, but the general gist will remain the same and I just wanted to ask since it's not a wholly original idea of mine.

Thanks.

Regards,
    -
    MissA

7. notquitebutch

I never did :frowning2: But absolutely, go for it! I'm just starting film school in a week, so it would be a while before I ever got to re-visit this idea :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'd LOVE to see the finished product if you make it happen!

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your idea is very good, but you have to add the drama... like flash backs or things like that. You must add how they discuss the materials between it.

Don't know if you know you sa the short film named The Boy Next Door

If not here is it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3odPinqIcM[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs_KzOnsMzo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

You see how they capture the drama.