1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever get tired of being called "a waste"???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GoinStag, Jul 17, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I hear this a lot when a guy will come out as gay and girls will say "ohhh what a waste". I've heard this before many times but I didn't actually think about it 'till I was watch Queer As Folk (UK) and someone got offended at being called "a waste". Like a waste of what? Idk I just didn't really realize how offensive it sounds 'till now I guess.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    honestly i'm not offended by it. I think the idea is "What a waste/shame that this beautiful guy/girl can't be with me because s/he is gay"

I've often joked with my friends "what a waste" that some hot guy is straight... and sometimes even to the hot guy in question, if it's someone I know who would take it in the way it's intended :slight_smile:

I don't see a problem with it, but then, I don't see a problem with most gay jokes or stereotypes, because many of them have their basis in truth.

3. RaeofLite

I hear it all the time from guys. That or they try to "turn me hetero" saying things like, "you've never had me... I could change your mind." *eyeroll* People are ignorant and don't realize we don't choose who we are attracted to.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been called a waste in that context before. I seriously thought that this thread was about being called a waste in the other sense, like doing nothing. I get the latter so often it doesn't faze me anymore.

I can see where it would be offensive to some, but personally I'd find it flattering because that means there are people (ladies, but people nonetheless) out there who would get with me were I into them.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Big deal. (sarcasm). My best friend says it all the time mainly because her and I are so alike, we really would make an amazing couple if it weren't the fact I'm gay and all lol

6. starfish

I have used a similar line before when I find out a good looking guy is straight. I usually say what shame. I've never really thought about it being derogatory. I guess I can see how someone could see that.

7. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    In actual fact i think it's more of a compliment, it's more girls wishing you were straight because you are a good looking guy.

8. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I get that from guys a lot. It feels like they're implying that just because they're guys, they're entitled to me or something, and if they can't have me then I'm not worth anything. Sort of like they're completely ignoring what would make ME happy, you know?

I know most people consider it a compliment, but it kinda annoys me. I dunno. Simply saying, "You're really cute, and if you were straight I would want to date you" just seems like it'd sound a lot less offensive than "Oh, you're gay? Ugh, what a waste."

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one's ever called me a waste. If they did, I'd just say "I know several gay guys who don't think I'm a waste in the slightest."

Lex

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard it once or twice. i know it isn't meant to malicious, actually its kind of a commpliment, so I don't take offense

11. kettleoffish

I'd punch somebody if they said that to me.

12. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I once heard It the other way around. It was on Right Sayed Freds camp classics on a music channel, There had just played shaner twanes ”man, I feel like a woman”. And one of the presenters who was from Right sayed Fred sayed about the male gutarists ”petty there straight” lol

13. chrisg

Yeah, I take being called a waste as a compliment! I guess that speaks to my vanity, haha. And I sure hope not to be a waste to gay men... :wink: