1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Culture Food

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Markio, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Markio

I've been watching The Next Food Network Star with my mom and I notice that the judges constantly want the contestants to be true to themselves and to let their food reflect their culture and perspectives. For example, Aarti is Indian and the judges love how she makes Eastern dishes more accessible for less experienced cooks; Serena is from Italy and talks about it through her food; Brianne is a black woman from the south and the judges liked when she went personal and made fried chicken and waffles.

While those examples are more regional, I wanted to know if anyone ever heard of any LGBT dishes. I imagine their may be traditional drinks served at gay clubs, or at lesbian coffee houses, or foods that are typically masculine or feminine that could be mixed together to create a gender-bending dish. Or foods that are somewhat related to LGBT culture through bathhouses or disco. I know this may all sound stereotypical.

If LGBT dishes don't exist, can anyone think of any that could? All I can think of is:
    -Wine coolers (whatever those are)
    -food made with lavender (the flower)

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I don't think we have any true cultural foods. @_@ If we did it'd be surprising.

3. theJosephDean

Penis-shaped cake? am i doin it rite?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I had a picture for emphasis, but I don't think it would be deemed appropriate. :lol:

4. Shevanel

Straight and bi-women like penis cake too!

5. theJosephDean

Aww. i guess i did it wrong.

6. Ben

Ben

Rainbow cupcakes!!!!

7. Just Adam

gay culture food...nothing with carbs and oh my god watch the calories it will go straight to the thighs.

or maybe that's a stereotype i just embraced who knows lol

i kept meaning to make rainbow cupcakes. i made rainbow jelly.

8. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Ben, add some colourings to your bread mix and make some rainbow bread. :grin:

9. Ben

Ben

ahah if that's possible then it would be amazing

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

It sure is. xD Found a recipe for it. :slight_smile: Would have to make white bread base, split the mix into 6 then add the ROYGBP colours into it. :grin:

#10 Jiggles, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  11. Ben

Ben

aha actually that doesn't sound too difficult

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Yes, make sure to split the mix. I didn't once and I just got a grey blob. ;_;

13. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I suppose anything rainbow could be considered gay cuisine; I don't think we have any distinctive dishes, unless Lady Gaga mentioned food in one of her songs and I can't remember it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa--what?! Thus is just wrong on so many levels.

14. chrisg

Haha, I thought the exact same thing!! Anyway, gay food or drink is something sophisticated, unique, and personal. To me, a Cosmo is a perfect example. :slight_smile:

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

or possibly
    [​IMG]

...I like food colouring, OK?

16. Markio

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. I think the judges meant that when she made fried chicken with waffles for one particular challenge, not only did she prepare it well but she also spoke with genuine excitement about her childhood when she ate similar food with her family. It was a reflection of her culture as she is from Atlanta, in the same way Aarti often makes food with Indian flavors. She didn't just make them plain, either. If you're offended, watch the episode.

This is what I mean about LGBT food. There is not really a connection between gay cultural experiences and food, unless you count the gonja cupcakes people were selling at SF Pride...

17. 4 seat

I'm a big fatass, I eat everything and anything all the damn time and all my friends make fun of me cuz I never stop eating and I love food so damn much.

When I think of "gay food" I think of tiny portions of extravagant and overly pretentious food that, despite a great deal of work being put into them, are too small to be satisfying. At least, that's what I think. I love all food, except small food. Small food pisses me off. So does small silverware.

18. paco

paco Guest

hahaha so passionate. i don't like big silverware. especially big spoons. it just seems so clunky.

as for gay food... i think of pretty food, like food that you almost don't want to eat cause the plating looks so cool. but that's kinda just how fancy food is anyway so it's not adding much.

19. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This xD . Whenever I think about gay food, I think of small vegetarian meals.

20. Just Adam

like i said no carbs watch the calories :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha

kfc it is then hahahah mmm twister.