1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Other Bisexual

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steam Giant, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

Having met a few new local bisexuals who prefer the opposite sex got me to thinking. This is a completely hypothetical situation, in case anybody starts wondering, hehe.

Let's say there's a bisexual who's active in a GLBT community like this one, then one day he meets a girl and gets married, living a lifestyle some would call "straight." Should he remain as active in this community, and should the community continue to support him? Even with "straight" problems? Be honest, what do you think?

Being bisexual myself, the "I'm not gay enough" factor can be difficult to get over, especially when you hear it from someone else. This question has been on my mind for a long while, and I'm very curious to know what you people think ^^

2. I think that person should still remain active in the GLBT community, because what happens to them still affects him in some way. I know I would do it, because I still have that homosexual part of me, and what affects other homosexuals would still affect me in some way.

3. it might be good if the community were like this one, were they could share advice and help others. or if the community were for glbt rights. at least that's how i see it.

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I would say yes to both. If you're bisexual, even if you live a "straight" life, you're still bisexual, and you should still be active in the community. Also, there's a reason why there's a "B" in the LGBT community, and it wouldn't be much of a community if we rejected someone because of who they love.

5. surfrboykai

i fully second this post

6. I 100% agree with what suburbs_of_sodom said, as well.

7. Sam

Sam

I think that the person should still be involved in the community and the community should still support them. I know if by a slim chance I married a man I would still be involved and I would still expect the people of the group or community that I was involved in to still accept me.

8. Tom

Tom Guest

lets see the person is still bi-sexual and attracted to members of the same sex, now doesn't the B in LGBT stand for bi-sexual so they have every right to stay w/e anyone thinks because they will still have problems about liking members of the same sex etc and im always happy 2 hear about a couple gettin 2gether be it man and woman, man and man, woman and woman or other and personally if the person was in a 'straight' relationship i wiudnt say they cudnt come on sites like this because even if they r acting straight they will have valuable advice and still be the same person 2 talk to.

9. LorenzG1950

Of course the person should remain active in the community. He/she has valuable experiences to share. And who knows how the orientation will evolve over the years.

The second answer is also a solid yes. I've never chosen my friends or the people I support based on their sexual orientation so why should it matter if someone is a little more straight than he or she once was? :slight_smile:

Oh, and glad to have you back Steam Giant.

#9 LorenzG1950, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  10. Jim1454

I agree - they should remain active and have the support of the group. They will have their own issues.

11. Kat22

Of course they should still remain active!!! You can be "Striaght" and still belong in this community. Look at some of the people here who are straight and are here for the sole purpose to support us because they have children or friends who are LGBT.

12. netlord80

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with the others. Even when I am with a woman, I am still bi. The stress and identity issues do not change just because you are with a member of the oppisite sex.

And it is also helpful to other bi people to be able to talk to others even if they are in a relationship. Besides, how would you draw the distinction? My ex for example is bi as well, she attracted to both men and women, but is not comfortable with having a same sex relationship be the primary love relationship. This doesn't make her less bi.

13. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it kind of ironic and hypocritical when gays and lesbians reject bisexuals because they have relationships with both men and women. I mean, how can the same people who claim that sexual orientation is not a choice and that everyone should be accepted as they are, reject somone based on exactly those things :eusa_doh: