1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move to a different city?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by travelinsoul21, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Anyone ever done it?

My main question is, how to move from a place that is dirt-cheap to a place that is sky-high expensive. Like San Francisco or Chicago. Any advice?

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Get a job, fill out the paper work, rent a moving truck, and leave.

3. Shevanel

Money. And Balls.

4. I got balls, $$ is the issue.....how much is rent go for in SF?

#4 travelinsoul21, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  5. Shevanel

Check Craigslist? Google.

6. Also I suppose I've heard varying ideas on this, would I need a car?

7. Shevanel

Truly depends on the city's layout. If you're moving to a city like NYC, you can certainly live without a car, probably beneficial to not have a car. But a city like LA you'd need a car for sure.

8. Well to generalize a little more, what are some of the best "gay cities" in North America?

Of course Chicago, San Fran and NYC are on the list. But what are some other ones?

9. EWU2012

As far as "gay cities" go Seattle is also pretty good. They have a huge gay pride parade/festival. I also know a lot of people who move there because it is so open minded.

10. Meropspusillus

There are a lot of very gay friendly cities, as a matter of fact, most large cities are. I've heard great things about Atlanta, Bloomington, Columbus, and even my little Albuquerque.

Pick the city first, based on location and price, then look into gay life into a city you plan on living in, but a city doesn't really need to be one the "best gay cities" to have a good gay culture.

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Columbus is no where near gay friendly. XD

It has a few gay devoted places, but so does every other major city. San Francisco and Palm Springs are quite literally the gayest cities in America.

12. TeddyJavier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Providence, Rhode Island is another big city with a thriving gay community.
    But an upside is the cost of living isn't as high as a lot of the other major cities.
    Plus their mayor is gay and supports a lot of the programs in the gay community.

13. Jeremy

I used to live in San Francisco (well Oakland), and rent for a 2 bedroom was around um... $1200ish? I think? Maybe a little more. lol. But basically, I got down there because I knew someone who lived down there, and so I stayed with him.

You can also move down there if you can find a job. Maybe apply for something in your field and hope for the best? Getting the place to live and stuff isn't really the hard part. Mainly it's finding the steady income to afford the place to live that's hard.

Also for SF you probably don't need a car. It's convenient but not necessary. I hate their subway system though. It works, but it's all flat rate and doesn't cover much of SF itself, just the outer cities.

14. I don't necessarily live in the GAYEST place in the world. But I would like a place with decent weather, not too hot, not too cold. And with a great gay community

15. Jeremy

AGREED!!!!! This is the first summer in a while that I'm not in SF :frowning2: I miss the weather so much!!! 95 degrees F is ridiculous!

16. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Sounds like San Francisco.

17. Shevanel

San Diego too, just sayin. xD

18. ok455

What about Atlanta Georgia? the gayest city in the south its affordable nice apartments cost $500 dollars. When i do move in a few years thats one of the cities i wouldn't mind moving too right along with Chicago.

What about going to school getting a degree or a trade? It would better your chances of getting a job since the economy is in the toilet. Your 21 if you move to a different city you would probably make 8 an hour working retail and how is you going to afford an apartment? Thats the first thing when you move is jobs lining one up before you move and being able to afford everything.

Check out this website city data for advice i love reading about my favorite cities on this website you learn a lot on here.
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/

#18 ok455, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

San Diego is hot. D: Hell, if it weren't for people it'd be just your average desert (so would Los Angeles)

20. starfish

I moved from Dallas to Austin just about 2 years ago.

I got a job here and then moved down. Things did just work out for me, as I converted from being a temporary employee to a full time employee. The work my group was doing moved from Dallas to Austin. So I converted on the condition that I would move with the work.

Unless you have sizable savings, I strongly suggest finding work first.