1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by travelinsoul21, Aug 6, 2010.

1. No I dont have a news story. And I don't wanna read through every thread about the California ban being overturned.

I'm freaking pumped about this. This will ride it's way to the supreme court, and I don't think that anyone can come up with a valid argument against Judge Walker's decision.

Bans on SSM violate the constitution because the constitution guarantees "equal protection". And if it violates the constitution, it violates the law.

I'd like to see any religious nut argue that. Of course they will try, throwing fancy words about "judicial activism" and judges over-reaching their bounds, and so on.

Is the war over yet? No. But I think it's safe to say we've won a battle. I kind of feel bad that because I'm not totally out I'm not out there somehow rallying for LGBT rights. Not that anything like that happens in Oklahoma anyway. But I feel inspired by this and I think the tide is turning.

Just my opinion, I'd like to hear some other opinions though, too.

2. Shevanel

Same-Sex Marriage*

3. Jazzyroo

I support it biotches!!!!!!!!!!

4. TroubledRyan

uhmmm, you guys will probly hate me, I know I don't really get my own opinion, but I don't nesasrly beleave in same-sex marrage.
    To me,that signifies straight marage,which we indeed are not wanting...I wish they would make somthing for gay marage though...like, some different code name haha... like....hmmm....coventional bonding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    ...I don't really know,just goes against my thoughts.

5. 1.) I realized I should have titled it same sex marriage after I posted it.

2.) Glad i'm not the only one.

3.) I don't hate you. That's your opinion. I don't care if they call it marriage or not. It needs to be the same thing as marriage with tax, health, and all the benefits of marriage.

6. VentinIntrovert

I agree with troubledryan... Marriage should just be marriage, a union between two people. It shouldn't be identified as same sex or what not. Even the whole marriage overall. Why do you need to prove your commitment toward one another through marriage? You can't just live with them for the rest of your life, but you need proof?

7. TroubledRyan

8. VampConspiracy

There are certain legal consequences that go along with marriage, taxes coming immediately to mind.

But I don't disagree with you. The magic word is "divorce." I've seen it happen. It's not pretty, and being an epic pessimist, I don't want to get married for at least 20 years 25 years 30 years a long long time.

9. partietraumatic

I'm not sure i believe in the institution of marriage as a concept. Maybe i'm just cynical because my parents, and many of my friends parents, are split, but i'm not sure, legal or not, i would ever wanna get married. I think i'd be much happier just being in a long term relationship with someone.

I suppose my opinion might change as i get older, but right now i don't feel like marriage is something i would ever want to get involved in.

I just think sometimes people who shouldn't be together get married, and then it puts alot of pressure on them to stay together. Thus they stay together longer than they would, despite not being happy, than if it were just a long term relationship.

#9 partietraumatic, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. MusicIsLife

^ This. :slight_smile:

11. RedState

I have always been kinda torn on this.

No doubt it will make it's way to SCOTUS...But should the make up be the same as it is now I think the decision will be over-turned.

First, I have no problem with civil unions, domestic partnerships, or what ever you want to call them. Those are administered by the State.

Even if same-sex marriage was made legal tomorrow, I hardly think it would be the downfall of the republic. It's just not my issue really, I don't get fired up about it.

Marriage, I have always believed, is administered by the Church. Even if it were legal, how many churches would recognize it?

Say the Court overturned it, or Congress made it legal, here is my concern: Should a Church, because of it's religious conviction, refused to recognize it, would the government revoke its non-profit IRS status? I think that would be wrong and open up a whole other can of constitutional worms. Not saying it would happen, but an interesting
    argument to throw in the mix.

12. frostreaver

Why is marriage so tied to the church? Christianity isn't the only religion in the world. If its so exclusive to Christians then doesn't that mean that non-christian couples in the world aren't married?

13. starfish

As for you first point. I agree. If the country was in such a state that same sex marriage would effectively end life as we know it, then we have much bigger problem.

Your second point is actually addressed in the Prop 8 opinion. Marriage is administered by the state. The has decided to allow a religious official to preside over the marriage ceremony, however recognition by any church is not sufficient nor necessary for a state recognized marriage.

14. Miss Bubbles

Okay YAY for this and you know what I am so happy!!!! I for one am out and trying to get people to see how wrong it is using people religion as an excuse to deny people their rights!!! I mean religion is not supposed to be used in the government in any way right?? Well it doesn't always seem like that because most people use their religion to deny us our rights!!!! And it is wrong!! Religion is a beautiful thing and is not supposed to be used as a weapon in any war. So this is one small step for LGBT people in cali, and one giant leap for LGBT people everywhere!!

15. Porphyrogenitus

The semantics, unfortunately, are everything. As long as state-sanctioned legal unions, and Church-sanctioned religiously based unions, are referred to by the same word and its centuries of religious tradition, people are going to think they're the same thing and get confused and angry and fanatical about it. Take the word "marriage" out of the law entirely, and let Churches call their own unions whatever they want to.

16. Root

I support same-sex marriage (well, not actively). I'm proud that my country has legalized same-sex marriage in a continent full of hate:

17. AeonToy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    UGH! I agree!! all these ultra religious people think it is the same thing when, a religious marriage is a different event than a government recognized marriage.

And to the people who were talking before about how marriages shouldnt exist in general. I respect that, but I think the principle in this whole debate is the provision of rights to some people and not to the rest. but you may already have known that and just have been commenting on the concept of marriage in general. in that case, forget hwat i said .