1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lymington Cat and Kitten Rescue

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

My sister (Jill) works for Lymington Cat and Kitten Rescue, and absolutely loves it!

They were featured in Your Cat magazine a few months ago and there was also a story about them in their local paper a couple of weeks ago. I have copies of both of these as I will hopefully be doing a website for them in due course (for free of course, as it is a charity). I thought you might like to see them... :slight_smile:

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

It's cool that they are recognized for their efforts

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

They have had problems with ringworm this summer and are only now getting rid of it. Consequently they cannot take any more cats into the main rescue area or rehome any from there. So my sister and several other staff and volunteers are fostering cats and kittens in their own homes. My sister had about 15 (mostly kittens with their mums) a few weeks ago, but it was down to about six when I saw her a couple of weeks ago.

4. Beachdreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would so love to have a cat again but I live in a second floor flat with no access to the outside and I work all day - there's just too many negative reasons to not do it. .... Huge sigh.

It's great that you are going to do the website - don't forget to post the link when you do.

5. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

wow,well I guess it's kind of working out since they are taking them into their homes for the mean time.

6. Beachdreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There's no way I could short term foster a cat - I'd be too attached by the end of the first day and would end up as the mad cat lady with hundreds of them!

Do Lymington Cat Rescue have a neuter policy before they rehome?

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Perhaps you could see if your local rescue need any volunteers or have any vacancies for paid staff (though it is low wages).

Yes they do. Adults are all neutered before rehoming. With kittens that are too young the new owner must agree to having it done when they are old enough and send proof to the rescue when it's done (the rescue will pay for it if the new owner is unable to).

8. Beachdreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's cool - too many people don't understand that the only way to control the 100s of unwanted and unhappy cats is neutering.

I support the Celia Hammond Animal Trust and they too have a neuter policy, or as you say for kittens neuter when old enough.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I will do. It probably won't be until early next year though.

10. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I have two cats (both from the animal shelter) and I'm glad that they are helping save cats! =D I wish them good luck!

11. Kibuki kid

Its great that they're helping these cats! They deserve so much better. I wish i could have a cat but i doubt theyd do well eight stories of the ground

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Some cats are happy being indoor cats, though others like plenty of area outdoors. It could be worth asking at a local rescue centre if they have cats that would be happy kept inside all the time. Maybe an older cat that's not so active or something? These rescue centres always have problems finding good homes for older cats because most people want kittens or young adult cats.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I thought I'd share this photo 'cos it's cute!

This is my sister (Jill) with a rescue kitten she was fostering for the rescue centre when I was there on Boxing Day. It was very timid but really liked being cuddled (it had found it's way inside Jill's top).

It has now been rehomed. Probably as well as I think Jill would have kept it otherwise - and she already has four cats. Actually being timid it will do better in its new home where it's the only animal.

[​IMG]