1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turned 21 Today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ciceron, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

I turned 21 today, and sadly had to spend most of the day working. Well, all of the day.

Anyway, since I didn't really have time to go out or do anything at all for my birthday, I decided to pick up an alcoholic beverage for my birthday. Never having drank before in my life, I was kinda excited to try something I hear people talk about on a daily basis.

I must say, I don't see the appeal. It was nasty stuff. I drank it, but mainly because I could stand to spend that kind of money and not drink it. Is there something I'm missing?

Anyway...I'm not seeing what's so great about it, but happy birthday to me anyway!

2. VampConspiracy

Happy 21st!

I will never put an alcoholic drink in my mouth. Never. Not even on my 21st.

3. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

If it means anything, I think I just had my last.

4. RedKnight

yeah im not planning on drinking anytime and im able to drink now since drinking age is 18 in nz

5. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Happy Birthday!

6. RedKnight

oh right, happy birthday :slight_smile:

7. Root

Happy birthday!

Beer...I've been enjoying good times at the pub since 17... three years of fun. First got drunk at 14 (bad, I know).

Anyway, sure it tastes crap for some people in the start, but there are so many different beverages to try, there's one for every taste... and the effects :rolle:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. MagicalMatt

Yeah tasting one drink and saying you hate it is like using one computer and swearing off of them or eating one italian dish and not eating italian again.

I mean, I get why you wouldn't want to drink to get drunk, and I get why you would not drink for sobriety reasons (as VampConspiracy seems to do). But if neither of those bother you, why not try something else. I generally don't like beer, but I like rum and some vodkas. In fact, there are now beers that I will drink.

I probably shouldn't say any of this since I'm 6 months from my 21st.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, happy 21st birthday! Sorry you didn't get to make a fun event out of it, but hopefully you and your friends/family will be able to celebrate in some way that you enjoy sometime soon. :slight_smile:

As for drinking... it really isn't a big deal. Don't let anyone tell you that you should drink, nor let anyone tell you that choosing not to drink is weird or associated only with sobriety or anything like that. At the same time, don't let anyone tell you that you should never drink either... make the choice for yourself. If you're happy having tried it and not liking it, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying it isn't something that interests you.

I believe that our society revolves entirely too much around intoxication of various kinds. People who choose not to drink alcohol are often labeled as weird or outcasts, or people want to know why, or assume that you're a recovering alcoholic or something. But the truth is, there are people that simply find no place in their world for alcohol or drugs, who enjoy their lives without those things... and while, thanks to tons of advertising, peer pressure, and an unwillingness to deal with strong feelings, lots of people seem to feel the need to drink or do other things to alter consciousness, there's really no need to do that if it isn't for you. :slight_smile:

So enjoy your 21st year, live your life, and have fun... in whatever way fulfills you and makes you happy :slight_smile:

10. Ben

Ben

Haha happy birthday!

I've been drinking all my life so I never had a big "omg it's legal now I'ma get sloshed" time, but it's pretty bad for those who do when they wake up the next morning.
    And yeah, alcohol can taste weird.

11. Charme

Charme Guest

Happy Birthday!

Might I suggest an apple martini? Oh and try not to get drunk EVER. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. I just thank God that I didn't get a hangover the next morning.

12. kettleoffish

alcohol is an acquired taste, most people don't like it much to begin with. The first time I tried alcohol, when I was 7 or 8, I think I spat it back out :lol:

13. Joe622

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happy Birthday! It'll start to taste better as you go along.

14. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

AS people have said before dont write it off after drinking one kind of drink. Try loads off different kinds of beers, lagers and spirits. Been drinking for I dunno how long and when I hit 18 I never went out for a drink for months after my birthday! lol Also if you want to know what drinking is like, go to Austrian Scout camp. xD

Happy Birthday though! :grin:

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been legal to drink for two years now and I still don't, despite the 2358125 people who've told me I just need to find the right kind of alcohol then I'll be drinking like a fish just like everybody else. It's really not necessary. And happy birthday! :slight_smile:

16. 4 seat

Happy Birthday!!!!! Woo Show Us Your Boobs!!!!!!!!

17. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Well thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! I'm sure I might try drinking again at one point, but for now, it's not a taste I wish to acquire. Maybe next time I'll try something sweeter and I'll enjoy it more. Which, my mother gave me a drink to try tonight but I'm afraid to give it a go even though it's supposed to be lie lemonade or something.

Again thanks everyone!

18. starfish

Happy birthday. As for drinking, if you don't want to then don't. We all have things that we like and dislike. I don't like shrimp and I don't have to defend my dislike of it. I don't understand why people make wuch a big deal about someone that doesn't drink.

19. djt820

What the hell were you drinking? Anyways, happy birthday.

20. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Some red wine...raspberry and cherry or something? I don't even recall the brand or anything. I really didn't like it and poured it down my drain. It was mega cheap but I didn't want to go crazy for something I may hate, which, I totally did.