1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"PFLAG moments" at my 30 year reunion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Aug 15, 2010.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I went to my 30 year class reunion this weekend. I have to say it was the BEST one yet! For those of you who are still in high school remember that someday you will actually look back with fond memories and miss those whom you called "friend" in high school.

We had about 185 people in my class and three of them are gay although one claims to have been "cured" with the help of his church. I don't believe it for a minute. He's married with children. The guy didn't say one word to me all night. He's not on my facebook so not sure if he knows I'm an activist or not. Another guy couldn't make it but my cousin and her longtime partner were there. Nobody had a problem with them.

Pretty much all of us were inebriated on Friday night. One of our classmates owns a racehorse that came in paying $40,000 on Friday. The 13th turned out pretty lucky for him! He bought drinks the whole night. Anyway....one of my guy friends whom I was pretty close to in high school grabbed me and hugged me telling me he was "really, really proud of me!" He said he reads all my facebook posts (gay related) and told me about five times he loves me. lol Now this might not be too odd except this guy is a Republican and very, very conservative. We probably agree on nothing politically. He told me to keep up the good work and again told me the next night when he wasn't so drunk this time leaving out the "I love you!"s. lol

Another person (and I can't remember who it was, just know it was a girl) told me that the article that I wrote about my son and same sex marriage was "beautiful!" It's hard enough for me to remember things at my age when I'm sober. :grin: I wish I could remember who it was.

Then when we left that bar some friends and I went to another bar. OK, I live in a cowboy town. This bar was playing country music and filled with a bunch of cowboys. But while I was there, my lesbian cousin who is in my class, brings this guy up to me with tattoos and spiked hair and introduces me. She said "he is one of US" and then said "This is my cousin Becky, President of PFLAG Central Oregon". The guy grabbed me with both hands and said "THANK YOU!" It was all pretty cool! It all made me very proud to be doing the work that I do. :slight_smile:

2. olides84

Ha, great story! Thanks for sharing and, like the cowboy said, thanks for all the work you do for us!

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Thats really awesome :slight_smile:
    You should be proud! You are doing amazing work :slight_smile:

And now you left me wondering what my high school reunion will be like haha xDD

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks guys! It was a reunion I won't soon forget. :slight_smile:

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone