1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a Credit Card

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by UnderARock, Sep 20, 2007.

1. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just thought i'd let u know that i got my 1st credit card last week.

2. 24601

Congrats! :grin: Shop away!

And err... be careful.

3. Bryan

SHOPPING SPREE!!!, haha just kidding, that's why my parents wont get me a credit card

4. yay! I'm so happy for you! I want to marry the person who thought up the idea of, "Buy now pay later."

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay credit cards!

Be careful of Credit cards and credit card debt. While they are an easy thing to abuse, they are a great thing to have in your advantage. Having a credit card, even if you rarely or never use it, helps build a credit rating which is useful if you later want a mortgage or car loan. Usually banks give out credit cards to students like candy, but won't so easily give one to anyone else with no credit rating, so get one when you can.

I use mine as a valuable purchasing tool. It is more convenient than cash, and for the month or so before I pay the bill, I get to hang onto the money and earn interest. My credit card also gives me 1% back in the form of grocery discounts. Buy $1000 worth of anything on the card, get $10 in free groceries. I can pay for my school with a credit card, so $12000 a year in tuition is $120 free groceries.

A couple keys points:
    -Never buy anything that you can't back with money in the back, and keep track of how much you spend.
    -Always pay in full and never late to avoid paying interest. The interest rate on credit cards is insanely high compared to other forms of debt.
    -Don't get a card with an annual fee.

6. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea its no as exciting as i tought it would be. Im smart enough to pay it all off in full each month. Keeping a spreadsheet of exactly how much i spend. I have a 1 grand credit limit but already have much more than that in the bank. The card came with free Qantas membership. So now im just building my credit rating and earing some frequent flyer points.

7. Grof142007

I dont have a Credit card but i do have a debit card 2 gathering dust in my wallet expect for my college monthly bills im stingy i wont buy anything unless i need it... like that rainbow belt that was a must

8. neverover

wow... i can spend 5k with that:slight_smile:. congrats, btw