1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia is associated with homosexual arousal.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by illwakeupalone, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Here's the link guys. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014

What's posted here is a summary of the report from Department of Psychology at the University of Georgia in Athens. What do you guys think? Lol.

2. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I don't know, self-hate may explain some homophobia but it probably doesn't explain all. I don't think you can point to every homophobic person as being a closet homosexual.

3. I agree. It is after all just one small study, but it's interesting to consider.

4. concklin

It's true that not all homophobic people are homosexual. But it is a noticeable pattern that a good amount of them are. It's because of the simple concept of someone who's closeted and not wanting anyone to know - that person will try their best to seem straight, so they'll incorporate homophobia into their personality.

This guy I went to high school with, freshman year he was very homophobic. And then either sophomore or junior year he came out, and is now involved in activism.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

As others have said, this isn't the be all end all explanation for homophobia, but for those who are secretly feeling homosexual desires and who display homophobia to cover it up, the article illuminates an ego defense mechanism called reaction formation. The individual will criticize something to ease the anxiety they feel internally over the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting to say the least.