1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm against dress codes on airplanes, but sometimes you have to draw a line...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Article here

2. Eric

Oh my god! GRAMPA?!?!

I'm not sure where I stand on this because on one side, this man, and others, should be free to wear what they please. On the other hand though, MY EYES! THEY MUST BE DESTROYED!

I guess there's a time and place for anyone to wear camouflage short-shorts and a small tank top. The airport should not be one of them. Think of the children!

3. VentinIntrovert

Hopefully the pilots can still see after this encounter.

4. kettlkorn

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I can't see an old guy anywhere. Wait a minute... aha! I see him! It was the camo that threw me off...

5. Bryan90

So would you guys be less shocked if it was a hot attractive man/woman wearing that attire? So I guess, if the airport were to enforce a dress code, it should discriminate based on age too?

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it was the hot pants that did it for me. I'm old enough to be offended if someone is going to yell age discrimination, but honestly people that age SHOULD NOT be wearing hot pants. *Maybe* if they've had a ton of work done and look 20 years younger, but... in his case, no. Just no.

7. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are very clever. :slight_smile:

As nauseating as that is to see, he has every right to wear that. He has his manly bits covered.

8. RaRa

This.

9. RedState

Looks like grandpa is eating his own shit again...damn...call The Home

10. Jeremy

Interesting perspective.

I don't mean to be rude to suggest this, but isn't this quite similar to the heterosexual vs. homosexual issues at hand? I suppose it's like a heterosexual saying "I support the fact that gays have the right to who they are, but..."

Perhaps, isn't it equally likely that two heterosexuals could be looking at a picture of two homosexuals holding hands at an airport and then comment to each other how nasty they think that is, or how it burns their eyes? Maybe even "think of the children" could come up in such a conversation.

Again, I don't mean to be rude. I just wanted to point this out as it struck me odd that many or most of us are trying to seek equality, yet we're often unaware of our own actions that are fueling the flames of inequality.

11. HalfInsane

To be honest... I'd consider that inappropriate attire if the person in question were young and female/young and male/old and female... and of course old and male. There's really just a certain amount of skin that should be covered in public, and that is certainly not sufficient coverage.

I'm not trying to say I wouldn't find it easier on the eyes if it were an attractive women in that outfit; I would... but all the same, I'd still probably be thinking "Really? You're wearing THAT in public?".

12. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Eh. I think it looks good on them. They look comfortable in it, something of which I am quite envious. Not exactly a traditional approach to clothing, but all the vital bits are covered up.

Of course, if they were wearing heels it would be a matter of safety. But this is just people getting their panties (teehee) in a bunch over nothing. Bodies aren't some terrible thing that need to be covered up. No one was harmed in this person's clothing choices.

What a load of crock. What about people who are uncomfortable with women showing their faces because of their religion? What about people who are uncomfortable with men wearing the colour pink? What about people judging overweight people by saying, 'She's too fat to wear that'? Where do you draw that comfort line?

But a business can make whatever decision they want. Just as some venues have a 'No shirt, No Shoes, No Service' policy. I just don't see how you can enforce 'comfort levels' in people's attire.

#12 Numfarh, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  13. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

It's a can of worms. If anyone were to say this is wrong and inappropriate for public, the door is opened for people with prejudice against just about anything, make the same argument for whatever they hate. He's not naked and thus breaking no laws. Let him go about his business I say, and cover your child's eyes if need be.

I believe what you are saying is if we want to be free and equal...it's a two way street.

But this IS funny!

14. Root

Agreed.

I don't even like provocative music videos (sell your music, not your body).

I wouldn't feel comfortable next a hot, young female sitting next to me on a plane or bus should she be dressed like that man.

I've taken long distance bus trips, where the person next to me is so fat, they take up a quarter of my seat and contact is unavoidable. Now Imagine the discomfort should they be wearing a bikini.:rolle:

15. Eric

You do raise a very good point, and no offense taken. It was certainly a little hypocritical of me to say that, but this man is exposing more of himself than anyone needs to see. I think there is a difference, marginal as it may be, between a gay couple holding hands in public and a man who is that close to exposing his timbits to the world. I don't see it as being the same debate. People are free to wear what they wish and I will tolerate it because one can only hope people make an appropriate decision. I would behave like that if it were were anyone else. I think there's a difference between attire and behavior. I never said this guy shouldn't be let onto the plane. If he carried himself appropriately, then fine.

Holding hands isn't provocative or obscene in any way, that's how I see it. But I do respect your point of view. :slight_smile:

"Think of the children" was more sarcasm than anything, by the way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no way this guy doesn't know that society has decided that such an outfit is only supposed to be worn by young attractive females. Therefore, he knows full well what sort of reaction such an outfit will inspire when worn by an old, not-so-attractive male. And, presumably, he doesn't give a shit.

You go, grandpa.

Lex

17. Ben

Ben

I'd tap that~

18. ANightDude

Gahd, sometimes I love America. :slight_smile:

19. Mana

As someone who has had to use public transport dressed in varyingly different/interesting attire, and as a friend of others who do the same (seriously, my friend took a model gun that was taller than her onto the underground, and no one even questioned her. The most she got was a guard asking to hold it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) I see no problem with what this man is wearing. Each to their own.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooo...ahhh...eee...err.....hmm....