1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does someone go from being a "boyfriend" to a "partner"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by travelinsoul21, Aug 20, 2010.

1. I've always been a bit confused on this. Are same-sex couples who are intending to spend the rest of their lives together called partners? Or is it just another term for boyfriend or girlfriend?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to use it when the relationship has been long-term and has showed consistent stability. Boyfriend is a fairly informal term that can be used for the most new and casual relationships, so I only tend to use it near the start of a relationship. After that I consider them a partner of mine. ^_^

Although that's just my interpretation of the terms. Twould be interesting to see how others define the difference. ^_^

3. crystaltriforce

i hate the term "partner", it makes a relationship sound like some kind of business or law firm

4. THANK YOU!!! I was feeling the same way

5. Étoile

Same feelings.

The say way 'domestic partnerships' sound governmental and civil unions sound business-orientated.

6. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me partner means permanent, like a spouse but without officially being married. Though really the first thing it reminds me of is a business partner.

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

To me "partner" seems too much like a friend. Like Batman & Robin are "partners". People use partners in so many different ways. But boyfriend means one thing. That's kinda why I want to move to Canada. I don't want a "partner", I want a husband.

8. Jeremy

I concur. I was once at my teacher's house, and his wife was telling me a story of her brother. She said he was living in Florida with his "partner." Instantly I knew she was referring to homosexuality (though I didn't know he was until after she used that word... "partner").

I can't really say what "partner" entails, but I often associate it with the concept of a person who is too "ashamed" (perhaps just nervous, scared, or uneasy) when using the term "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" referring to a same-sex couple. "Partner" is an asexual term, and perhaps they feel more comfortable when using non gender-specific pronouns.

9. Shevanel

Never using the term partner. Ever.

10. I despise the term "partner". It sounds really shitty. I am never, ever using that term to describe whoever I end up with (if I end up with anyone).

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the term...never have. I'm not trying to conform to the straight world, but whenever I talk to couples who aren't married, they don't call the other their partner they call them their boyfriend or girlfriend so why should it be different for gays? And what's more, I find that come marriage or domestic partnership or civil unions amongst gay most of them call each other partner and I can't help but think "why can't you call them your husband or wife?!" So yeah I find partner is just a silly thing. Partner to me means either in a law firm OR a partner in dancing OR a partner in like school group project NOT the person you are with in love.

12. ok455

I also hate the term "partner" it sounds too business like heres my work partner or school partner. I like the term Joy Behar uses "spousal equivalent" but if I'm dating a guy for a long time I'm eventually going to call him my husband even if were not married.

13. MagicalMatt

I concur with about everyone here.

14. Eric

I always saw it as being purely about whatever preference the couple has. Although it seems to apply to couples that've been together for a long time.

I wouldn't use it, it sounds so... Strange.

15. x2x2x2x2y2

I don't like "partner" either. I prefer boyfriend. And if I ever were to get married, he'd be my husband, not partner. I seriously don't get how people started using the word partner for marriage.

16. Rikudo

I actually like Partner better to me it makes it seem as if we are equals. Also the term "boyfriend" then infers that one of us has to be the "women" of the relationship. I'd rather not stick with hetero terms either way.

17. Spectre

I think you're going to have to explain that one.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think this is why the term started being used. Might be wrong though. I don't agree with it though. I will call the person I'm with my boyfriend or my husband and he will call me the same. I don't think that means that I want to be the "woman" or that he wants to be the "man" or the other way around. I wouldn't be able to be with a guy that thought that way.

19. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

I completely agree. I will him my boyfriend, or husband. Partner or life partner just seems so... weird to me. I don't want to be referred to as a partner, that sounds like side-kick. I want to be able to say to people "I am going out with my boyfriend on Saturday." It sounds more natural.

20. Just Adam

i tend to avoid boyfriend it sounds childish to me and makes me think of them school romances where people went out for like a day then the next was with someone else,

partner i see as a long term committed thing which is what i want someone by my side to experience the world with.

husband is totally fine as that is what you are to each other.

also i dont believe anyone has to be the female in the relationship your boyfriend &boyfriend , husband & husband...