1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Tests

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IsItSo, Aug 21, 2010.

1. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    What "tests" do you use to try and figure out if someone is gay?

If I'm wondering whether or not a girl is, I ask them if they like Tegan and Sara. I've met other people who use the same method.

2. Jeremy

Kiss them. If they kiss back, that's a good sign. :grin:

lol jk

3. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    With guys, you can sometimes tell by their mannerisms, use of hands for self-expression, the way they walk (the saying goes: "hips don't lie"), their eyes (some gay guys have the characteristic "Bambie eyes"- or they just have a certain "sparkle" to them), or their speech patterns. Plus, it's a dead giveaway if many of their friends are attractive, single women who they have no romantic interest in. That and if they talk enthusiastically about going to see Lady Gaga in concert :lol:

The above characteristics are all pretty much based on stereotypes, though. There are soooo many gay guys who don't fit one or more of these characteristics and could easily pass for straight any time of day or night. There was one time that I met a friend of a friend (my friend is also gay) and thought to myself "oh, he must be one of ______'s straight friends). Turned out he was gay after all :eek: He just looked like an average (and quite handsome, might I add :icon_wink) straight guy you'd see walking down the street.

One more thing: if you're a guy and another guy stares at you for more than a second (like, 2-3 seconds at least), then he's probably checking you out (and hence is either gay or bisexual).

#3 edogs334, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Mana

I find people just have a gay "aura" or "presence" (I've been told I have a gay aura :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

5. Jeremy

I've been told people are completely shocked and surprised when they find out I'm gay.

I guess it just depends. Of course, there are small nuances you can detect in the behavior of a person that may lead to the stereotypical attributes of gay people. However, most of these gay people might be the people who are totally out. Furthermore, even people who ARE totally out don't always fit these stereotypes, and the nuances may be harder to detect. That and there are quite a number of heterosexuals who fit these behaviors all too well.

6. peaceandlies

I'm pretty bad at telling. I have a habit of having fake tatts of symbols, so i look for them. i plan to get them done for real asap. apart from that, i ask girls about boyfriends and so on. its not a very good system though

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I really don't like any kind of "test" to see if someone is gay. Assuming every girl that likes tegan and sara is gay is pretty bad.

Any kind of test would be with the assumption that all gay people are the same. A concept that I don't really like a all. But thats just me.

8. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know, but it's certainly not the most offensive stereotype out there. It's pretty funny if the girl actually is gay, as she'll laugh and admit that few straight girls have even heard of Tegan and Sara.

9. AlyssWonderland

I dont really 'test' people. I'm already friends with almost everyone in my class thats already out... I dont have many straight friends. No test necessary. :slight_smile:

10. Emberstone

I think drawn together had one in the second or third episode.

11. Strawberry

I don't think there's really any test at all that could work. I second whoever said something about a "gay aura." Some people really just give off a super gay vibe. For example, I have this friend who doesn't look or act stereotypically gay at all, but the things she says to other girls make it so that she gives off a really, really gay vibe.

Don't just go by stereotypes. That doesn't work well. (I would've failed your test, for example. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't listen to Tegan and Sara.) Then you'll miss the non-stereotypical gay people. You also might accidentally count some straight people as gay if you do that. I have another friend who's a straight guy. He's artsy, into singing, and not really a tough, macho guy at all. He is also openly supportive of gay people. Many people called him gay, but once you get to know him, he talks about girls allll the time!

12. Ben

Ben

Get a girl to bend and snap when she's around him. If there is no response then he's as gay as a rainbow-puking unicorn dipped in glitter.

Seriously though, if you catch him checking out a hot guy when he thinks nobody is looking, then he probably likes hot guys.

13. VampConspiracy

Tests? I don't - I tend to just avoid all but the closest of friends.

Then again, I'm not looking for a relationshit relationship right now, and won't be for a long time.

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I'm exploiting stereotypes, but topics like these aren't to be taken seriously. I'm just curious to see what other people do.

15. SaiRev3

I think I'm good at hiding being gay. XD

I think I could tell if they act gay or stare at some hot guy and doesn't talk a lot about girls. XP

16. paco

paco Guest

the eyes, i've heard gay guys have shifty eyes, and i believe it, especially closeted guys. we want to look at guys so we do, but then we think that we shouldn't cause someone will notice, so we look away quickly.

i also get shifty eyes around girls lol, when i was closeted, i looked at girls so other people would think i was straight, but i felt really awkward doing it so i'd look and then look away. now sometimes i'll look at a girl and then look quickly away when they make eye contact cause i don't want them to think i might have been interested haha.

but my favorite test is the flirting test. go up to a guy with an attractive girl and see who he's responding to. it's foolproof and fun.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't. I just get to know them. If for some reason I NEED to know, I'll ask. And even then, I can't guarantee they're being honest, or even if they know. I know two young guys who identify as straight but who sort of tip my gaydar into the red. (And given how lousy my gaydar usually is, that's saying something.) But neither of them seem to have any issue as straight. If they come to me and want to discuss sexuality, that's fine. But until they do so, I'll just assume they're straight.

I have a few friends and acquaintances who swear they have infallible gaydar. However, I've noticed that they seem to simply just proclaim EVERYBODY gay. I actually tried them out once on a friend. I KNEW this guy was straight - not gay in the slightest. But I said "I've been wondering about Fred - you think he might be gay?" ALL of them decided he was. "Look at the way he holds his spoon - he's a total closet case." :slight_smile:

Lex

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, like Lex says: Getting to know them is the best way. Usually, at some point they'll find out you're gay (if you're out, that might probably be right away when discussing basic information about yourself), and if they're gay and out, they'll probably tell you so in return.

Or not, but that's up to them, if they don't feel ready for it. At least, if you told them first, they'll know that you won't be entirely alien to the idea of other people being gay!

Obviously, playing the "gaydar game" is lots of fun, though. I would even say it's one of my preferred games to play on the train (if I want an extra challenge, I can even try and find reasons to think people are gay while they're busy kissing their girlfriend :wink:). But I try not to see the signs I see as anything more than wishful thinking in most cases...

19. peaceandlies

Erm... i heard one that works on me. straight guys have the ring finger longer than the index finger. so do lesbians. straight women have it the other way round and so do gay men.
    as i said it works on me, and my unfortunately staight best friend, but i dunno if it does on anyone else.

i found that on a forum, checked it out and supposedly its a proper test. then i heard it on the l word.

20. RedKnight

well my ring finger is longer than my index finger, so sorry but that does not prove accurate on me. but maybe im just some genetic kiwi freak :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: