1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life is so Random!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MagicalMatt, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MagicalMatt

So I just quit my job and joined Opera on my campus, on a whim.

I'm so excited.

What's the craziest thing you've ever done on a whim?

2. Shevanel

Hehe. Move to California?

3. (this is going to sound lamer than a sack of dead snails)

Probably moving to my dad's for about three weeks and changing school districts. I did that in Winter of 2007. It was actually pretty sweet. I didn't have to do any schoolwork because it was the last two weeks before Winter break. I got to hang out at the library and read Wilde, Angelou, and Salinger the whole time. I almost want to do it again...

4. Miss Modular

Most everything I do is the result of whims. I got a tattoo on a whim. And it ended up being 3 times larger than it should have been. Thankfully, I still like it and it was done well. I also decided to become a Philosophy major because it looked fun at the time.

5. Courtneyyy

bleach my hair
    change universities

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Getting my lip pierced and my ear (basically waking past the shop "Mum want my ear pierced!" "ok" In we go)!

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when I moved to Orlando with no job and only $500 in my pocket

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm really not the type to do things on a whim, so this is going to sound boring, but the craziest thing I ever did on a whim was going to a rock concert at the beginning of this August. A relatively new friend of mine and I were trying to figure out a day when we could hang out, and we had dismissed Sunday as a possibility because he was going to a concert. Those plans fell through, however, when the girl he was going to buy the tickets from said he was offering too little for them, so we planned to hang out that day.

Then, however, she called him Sunday morning, begging him to buy the tickets for whatever he'd be willing to pay, because it turned out she had just been charging too much for them, so he did. He called me, apologizing profusely and explaining that he normally doesn't flake on people, but he had to buy them because two other people were planning on going to the concert with him before those plans fell through. He did say, however, than he had a fourth ticket, and if I wanted to, he'd let me come with them and wouldn't charge me for the ticket. I asked him what bands were playing (Sevendust, Puddle of Mudd, and Shinedown, if you must know), gave them a quick listen on iTunes through the previews, liked what I heard, and called him back to say I'd go.

Like I said, that probably doesn't seem like that big of a deal to most of you (or maybe even like much of a whim, because I checked out the bands first), but it was a significant event for me for a few reasons:

-It was my first rock concert, ever.
    -It was my first concert since I was in 7th grade (I'm about to be a sophomore in college). Back then, I used to be into rap, so I went to a rap concert with my parents and a friend of mine when I was in 7th grade. I no longer listen to rap, so I don't really acknowledge it, which is why the fact that this was my first rock concert was such a big deal for me.
    -It was my first time staying out beyond midnight of my own free will. Granted, I got home at 12:20, but that was still a record.
    -It was my first time traveling somewhere unfamiliar (though I later realized that the venue the concert was held in was the same one where the rap concert I went to was held) with only my friends, rather than my parents, so it was the first time I needed to put that much trust in a friend.

As you may be able to tell, I don't step outside of my comfort zone very much, so doing something that allowed me to step out of it in so many ways was a big deal for me, which is why I am proud of doing this on a whim.

9. ANightDude

Sounds kinda like an old person story. :lol:
    "Back in my day, I moved all the way out to Orlando, with no job, and ONLY 500 in my pocket!"

Gotta love em.
    No offense, of course. (*hug*)

10. MagicalMatt

You're all craaaaazy. Crazy. Good for doing what you want!

11. Root

Dropped out of school. One-day decision.
    Got a job and moved out of home.
    Went back to school on a whim (after being retrenched).

Ate mescaline-containing cactus (with accompanying booze and pot, of course).
    Had a 2-hour bucket-bong weed-binge with the best weed I have ever smoked.
    Had a 2-hour chloroform huffing session.

Stopped smoking for a girl, 2 months (started again 2 weeks after break-up).

Various other things I can't remember.

12. MagicalMatt

Your whims are high in substance abuse. :lol:

13. Shevanel

Abuse has a loose definition obviously :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I would call that Substance fun. xD

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh nothing big, just buying Cyndi Lauper tickets at the Disney House of Blues on a whim and seeing her like five feet away from me at said concert. You know...no biggie.

15. Blondie

Blondie Guest

just for the hell of it get busted on a 13 year old warrent that was suppose to be dropped

16. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Does decaptating a red hot poker plant with a air riffel count?
    Apart from that I plan everthing at lest 3 hours in advance, except when on a whim I took a train to my dads for the weekend... I think.
    Ow, on a whim I gatecrashed next doors birthday party and drunk all there booze, I got completely wasted but had an hour to sober up so I could get home?

#16 British Lad, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  17. Johnnieguy

Withdrew from my PhD program (in Fargo), moved back to the Twin Cities without any job or job prospects, sat unemployed for 2 months, got a job working retail, and am now working that job+taking classes to prepare for an Engineering program at the U of MN and trying to get into a research lab at the U of MN and hoping to be starting full-time at the U of MN by the Fall of 2011.

Big change? Yes. Did it set my professional career back? Yes. Might some people think I'm crazy for quitting such a good position with the economy the way it is? Yes.

HOWEVER

I am finally living in one of the gayest cities in America, and in school at my dream school. What more could I want?

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What? :S