1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible we're frigid for life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Inhuman, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Inhuman

Is it possible that the emotional damage some of us have received while learning that we're homos will make it improbable for us ever to have good (romantic) relationships?

I think possibly for me. I haven't felt the need to suppress any of my homo feelings for nearly 1 year now but I'm still as frigid as ever. Like, cuddling is cool, but I don't even wanna have sex with my BF. So whats up with that! I'm attributing it to my time of thinking homosexuality is wrong and suppressing my ''desires''.

What do you guys find about this? Is this a unique thing I'm dealing with or no?

2. ANightDude

That was the best way to put it. :rolle:

I would say it's more a unique issue. If anything, any emotional issue you've had in the past would make you more wanting of a relationship. Personally, I would think that it depends on everyone's personality and who their dating for the relationship to last, anyways.

3. Inhuman

The word "homo" doesn't carry a negative connotation for me. But you've got a point on the other thing you said

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Though I've never been in an intimate relationship, I can definitely sympathize with the "cuddling is cool, but I don't even wanna have sex" sentiment. I don't know that it's related to emotional damage, but considering that I've only recently begun to become comfortable with the idea, it's possible. Maybe I, too, used to be frigid, and am only now beginning to "warm up".

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The emontional damage from being gay, and coming out early is unlikely to prevent one from having deep emotional bonds in relationships.

But it takes time. My guess is there are still aspects of yourself where you aren't completely open with everyone, and that, plus the baggage of being closeted, takes some time to wear off.

There are other issues people have that can make it a lot more difficult to have strong intimate connections, but they are more likely to center around abuse, or lack of strong emotional bonds to parents, self esteem, and that sort of things. But even those, with therapy and time, can be resolved and people can have healthy and whole relationships.

6. Mogget

We are all fucked up. Not "all gay people," all people. It's normal, it's natural, it's not unique to queerdom, nor are we exempt from it. And we're all fucked up differently. So your problem is neither particularly common, nor unheard of.

It's hard to believe and accept this. I struggle with believing it myself (though I feel more alone in it than you--it feels like no one else has my particular brand of fucked-upery).

#6 Mogget, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. Inhuman

Chip: What things are you talking about that you think I'm hiding? You may be unto soemthing here.. although I'm hiding my gay-ness from VERRRRY few people, and I'm only hiding my relationship from my Dad.. or are you talking about hiding something else?