1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigoted Parents = Bigoted Kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know most people already know this, as seen by WBC, but has anyone ever met someone who's bigoted yet their parents aren't/weren't? Generally children learn bigotry from their parents because it's just something that kind of absorbs into a child's mind. And yet you rarely see parents who aren't bigoted and are very accepting while their child isn't.

I sadly have one case...my mother. My grandparents are extremely accepting of gay people, and while I haven't told them I am gay, other family members tell me how they are quite open-minded. But my mother...she's fine with other gays but if it's me...she will not accept it nor allow it to be true. It's just so weird...how can a person with very open-minded parents become someone so closed-minded and a bit of a hypocrite? :S

2. Chandra

I've heard other stories of parents who seem accepting of the idea of "gayness", but can't seem to accept it in their own children (at first, anyway). I can't speak to your particular situation, but I think it might actually be a kind of protectiveness - these parents aren't necessarily homophobic themselves, but they hear about how difficult life can be for gay people and they're afraid to think of their children having to go through that.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it would explain why my Mom was worried me wearing a pride hoodie could get me attacked....even though she STILL thinks I'm straight >_>

4. 4 seat

Some of it is learned bigotry. Maybe she's had some bad experiences with homosexuality whereas your grandparents haven't? Especially since it's the older generations that are usually more prejudiced. That's an interesting situation you have there. When/if you come out to her, I'd like to know the situation on how she became more prejudiced when her parents weren't.