1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me understand what the f*ck this university is talking about!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rocking23, Aug 27, 2010.

1. rocking23

Im going into my final year of high school in British Colombia, Canada and I'm planning on getting my application ready for Ryerson University in Ontario, Canada.

I'm looking for help in deciphering what the eff they're talking about here for their Fashion Design course:

So, in my Grade 11 math I got 69%.

What I understand from this (or think I do) is that by:

They mean that my whole GPA must be 70% for my admission eligibility; and by

they mean my Math mark should, in minimum, fall between 65-70%

So, my questions are:

A) Do I understand this right?
    B) Do I meet the requirements with my math mark to enter the program
    C) Should I retake Math 11 this year?

Thanks in advance for the help xx

2. VentinIntrovert

I think you got most of it. The pre-requisite course required for the program is English and Math. It is recommended that you had art courses as your option. For admission, you would require a minimum of 70 percent overall. Whether or not your math mark is high enough is dependent on the level of competition.

So really who knows what the math mark required is, generally it's between 65 and 70 percent. 69 is pretty decent. When I applied to university the competition mark is basically, pick the top one hundred students starting with the highest score. Each year the cut off average would be aronud 80, but it changes depending on how well the other students it. It a sense the marks get curved. For example even if you got 67 and the rest of the students are at 65, you still get it because you are on top.

3. rocking23

Hm, ok, I think I follow.

With 69 in math, I meet the absolute minimum requirements to even be considered for the course, but that's saying without my other courses that will affect my overall average.

For example, i get an above 80 over all average, with abovd 70 marks in my English and arts classes, along with my 69 in math - I will qualify for the program

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you got it. Based on their required average, you are good with the 69% in Math. However, as VentinIntrovert pointed out, it can vary from year to year.

It depends on how many students have applied to the programme. 69% falls within the minimum range, and based on that I would suggest that you perhaps talk with someone at admissions or the programme chair at Ryerson University and ask them for some information on the previous years as to what the grade average in math for incoming students was. That should give you somewhat of an indication as to whether you are good with the 69% in math and your other averages that they will look at.

Even though all your other averages might be higher than the required minimum, I would still have a chat with a guidance counselor at the your school and see what he or she recommends.

I would think that it would be better if your averages are higher than the required minimum averages in all subjects. It increases your chances of acceptance.

5. rocking23

Excellent! I fully understand!
    Thanks so much! When I start school in September I'm going to visit my councellor and I will call Ryerson about past math averages

thanks so much for your guys' help!

6. Totoro

A) Do I understand this right?
    Pretty much what it means is that to be eligible for entry your overall average must be at least 65-70%. For most cases, I believe that when they calculate your overall average they include the prereqs. So in this case it would be your English + Math + 4 other top marks.
    Also it mentions at the bottom that your prereqs. must also have a grade of 65-70% so on top of keeping your whole 'average' up, you must also keep your math, and english within the percentage of 65-70%
    Oh, I also forgot to mention: recommended courses are always good to take :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think they'd increase your chances if anything.
    B) Do I meet the requirements with my math mark to enter the program
    You do, but it doesn't hurt to get a better mark so that you increase your chances of getting into the university program. Like someone else said, I think that the higher average student will always be the ones to get in first, and then they move down...
    C) Should I retake Math 11 this year?
    This is really up to you, you should talk to a guidance counselor about your decisions. You could also consider taking math 12? Though again, talk to your counselor about all this :slight_smile: