1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh pushy christians, you make me giggle so.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

I wasnt sure where to put this, so mods if I messed up feel free to move it along.

Anyway, I was at work and about 5 minutes from finishing my shift. This guy with a thick african accent (I later found out he came from Ghana...i think) Asked me for a certain type of bible. I told him that though I had not heard of the certain type he was looking for, I would be happy to show him the section.

So on the way to the section, the following conversation occured.

Him: Do you go to church?
    Me: No.
    Him: Are you christian?
    Me: No.
    Him: What are you?
    Me: I'm a witch (aka wiccan, but I like saying witch better)
    Him: ...why are you that?
    Me: because I don't believe in the Christian God.

At this point we had made it to the section, I showed him the bibles and moved away quickly.

Now, keep in mind I work at a bookstore, and its a BIG bookstore, over 100+ employees, and at the time that this happened there was something like 30 of us working. I am the only "girl" who likes girls. And this just HAD to happen to ME.

Anyway as im heading for the elevator to go home, im interscepted by him again, and because part of our job is being super nice to customers, I could not tell him to fuck off. So for the next 10 minutes he talked about how he was "saved" and that he was a pastor now and he came here to "save" me from the devil in my heart, and he was pushing me to come to his church, and finally I got away long enough to bang my head on the inside of the elevator door as I went down.

AUGH. It's like karma or something, of all the staff in the store I HAD to be the one he asked for help.

Has something like this ever happened to someone else?

2. Courtneyyy

Ugh. I am so not a fan of pushy Christians. Or as I like to call them, Crazy Christians, they make the rest of us look crazy, and if I'm going to look crazy, I want to be the crazy one.

3. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I have been accosted by pushy Mormons on my college campus a couple times. Trust me, they are worse than pushy Christians.

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just hate pushy people. ^_^

I get the occasional religious person when I am making my way to university through the city centre, but the most pushy people I encounter are the Big Issue (magazine) sellers. It annoys me that magazines I actually want are sitting in shops that I have to go and visit, but this annoying magazine I don't want follows me around screaming its existence down my ear.

But yeah, I dislike anybody who tries to push things on me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. paco

paco Guest

this one time there were a few of those at my school passing out those mini bibles to anyone that would accept them. i'm not quite sure what sect they belonged to, but i go to a catholic school, and it wasn't that. i just kinda think that's uhh.. stupid?

6. AlyssWonderland

There's this girl Bethany in some of my classes, and she's a super crazy Christian like that. She always pushes people to come to my church, me included, even though everyone knows I'm atheist. She has also told me and my best friend to go to hell because he's gay, and she told me because she thinks I'm just a supporter of gay rights. Augh. She's irritating. Its funny when she tries to debate with me over gay rights and I totally own her though.

7. VampConspiracy

I've had a run-in with a ... yeah, one of those people before back when I lived in [insert home region here]. Luckily my mother was there (it was, you know, my childhood), otherwise my mind would have been spewed all over the place.

Tolerance is key. Trying to change someone else's beliefs, even if you think they don't make sense (trust me, there are a lot of things I don't think makes sense...).

-----
    Oooooh, so I'm not a Christian. I'm evil, right? You want to convert me, right?
    * I have no criminal record.
    * I have no intentions to hurt anyone emotionally or physically (although with my social clumsiness, shit happens)

Being atheist doesn't make me evil. In the end, it's just another belief system. That doesn't make me evil. I just happen to see the world in a different light. Before you start quoting the Bible, remember: the argument makes no sense if you bring points from either belief system. Either we coexist peacefully, or I jam earphones into my ear and ignore your rant: the same tactic I use to ignore the noise coming out of my sister's motor-powered mouth-like device when she spews gossip at my mother.
    -----

I had to do that. I needed to get that out of my system. I feel refreshed! And I like my phrase "motor-powered mouth-like device..."

8. otc877

otc877 Guest

You dealt with it nicely. There's really no winning in those situations. Can't tell him he's wrong and can't agree with him. So you just have to sit and listen to his speech.

One of my old co-workers was like that, but he stopped talking to me about it after I looked him in the eyes and said, "I respect your beliefs, but we will NEVER share them." I turned away and left and he never brought it up again...

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    should have asked him which section of the Bible does it say its ok for priests to touch little boys then ask for the section where is says you should cover it up?
    I think its in between the sections on not pushing your beliefs on other people

10. blankpaper

Hahaha I once told someone I was an atheist and they said "No your not...." Oh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. peaceandlies

yeah; it used to happen to me a lot. a couple of years ago, i got it every day from my parents. but since then i've figured out how to keep them quite while making home life survivable. it does happen whenever i get dragged to church though

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was living in a rented house with a pool, and the pool maintenance guy, supplied by the landlord, was working on the pool and talking to me about the problems while working. In the middle of that, he starts asking about my spiritual beliefs. I tried to gently deflect ("Yes, I'm a spiritual person, and I'm happy with where I'm at") but he kept asking what church I went to (I don't) and then started launching into why i really *needed* to go to church to truly be spiritual.

I couldn't really tell the guy to fuck off since he was going to be coming around regulary to work on the pool... but it was annoying and I finally called the landlord and asked him to just switch to a different pool guy, which solved the problem.

I don't even have a problem with Christians (or any other flavor of religion) who ask one or two questions, as long as they take the hint when someone isn't interested. But, sadly, a lot of them don't.

13. RaRa

Yeah I had a few Christians come to my campus on Tuesday.

I saw them as I was walking (late I might add) to class, and I saw they were handing out these little pamphlets with bible verses and all this other stuff inside. I was just thinking "omg don't give me any of your crap please," but I didn't want to be rude so I smiled, took it as they handed it to me, and than I waited till they couldn't see me. At that point, I gladly threw it away and continued walking to class. :slight_smile:

14. LittleD93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never really run into pushy Christians, mostly because I use strong mental warfare to ward them off, but I did have this ONE insane experience that will probably haunt my dreams forever.

My family is Catholic, the Irish kind, and they like to go to this non-denominational church, which I support because I think Christians need to get their game together and be more accepting, starting with their own. Well, they got me to go once, as my gift to my brother before he went off to college (Thank goodness it was a casual church, I hate dressing up). So we get there, I end up shaking hands with the priest/pastor/whatevermajig, and we sit down to listen to "OH LAWDIE!" and gospel singing.

Well, during all of this, the priest says he had a dream last night, and God told him that someone would come to his church tomorrow with a "heart full of disbelief," and he starts going on and on with it. After the whole thing is said and done, I'm wanting to rip SOMEONE a new one, when I run into my family, all of whom are freaking out. "Did you tell him?" "I didn't! I thought it was you!" Back and forth they go amongst themselves, trying to figure out who tipped off the pastor, and I'm left to wonder "Well shoot, how'd he know?"

I've contemplated this story for a year or so. No matter how the situation came about, of course, I am unwavering in my beliefs, or lack thereof. Still, it makes ya' wonder.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... this is an old trick that a lot of the televangelists use. They say something that sounds very specific but in reality applies to a bunch of people in the congregation (or on TV) and makes them think that he was speaking directly to them.

My guess is nobody tipped him off and he just said that because he knew it would fit a few people in any church service.

16. LittleD93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's what I assumed as well, but it's fun to contemplate every now and again. I enjoy keeping my brain in motion. I need to go in for the 1,000 mile tune up though, things are getting squeaky.

17. Bario

Bario Guest

UGH. Fortunately I havent had to deal with anyone pushing their beliefs on me. Yet. I think that beliefs are beliefs and they should stay that way. Not to be pushed on other people. Yeah sure, put up the occasional flier saying 'God is good, god is great' etc. But dont tell other people what to think. Everytime I see or hear of this happening my first thought is, 'I dont push my faith on you, so dont push yours on me". Its all just a messy, sticky situation that could be easily avoided if people had a little decency.

18. djt820

I wish I was in your situation. I want pushy christians to talk to me. It's fun. Unfortunately, Christians stay far away from me for some reason.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally would have just smiled and said "that's nice, thank you for coming to save me, but I've already been saved by dick. Buh-bye now :slight_smile:"

20. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I go the only thing i believe in is gaffa tape! If they ask why I just say it has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together! Normally shuts them up. xD