1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't figure out what to do for my English project...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ANightDude, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ANightDude

This is actually a lot more stressful than it seems.

Alright. I have two choices. We were aloud to pick ANYTHING non-fiction in the world, as long as there's a book on it. Some people picked the lives of their idols, someone else is doing photography, human sexuality, etc. All sorts of odd things. And we have a full year to study this until we do a final project. But I decided I wanted to pick between two things.

I can pick The Alamo, because I'm a huge history nerd and such, and I enjoy learning about those things. But truth be told, there is only so much to learn, and I don't know how long I'll be interested and how I can make a final project out of it.

The other I was going to pick was film. But with that, I have to pick either the development of film, or the history of film. I'm starting to lean more towards that, because for my final project I plan to make some kind of a movie, and that could be interesting because I'll be more free, and if I pick The Alamo, well, I'm stuck with doing that without much freedom.

So what do you guys think? What should I pick? I was thinking about putting this is Support and Advice, but it didn't feel like it... fitted in there. Anyways, can someone please give me some help here? The proposal paper we have to do is due tomorrow. :dry:

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would pick film, but that's mostly because The Alamo doesn't interest me very much. But like you also said, there's only so much you can do with that choice and film would allow you to have more options I would think. Sorry this isn't much help. But like I said, I personally would go with film. Good luck! :thumbsup:

3. Shevanel

History of Filmmmmmmmmm :grin:

4. ANightDude

You're saying that's a good one? Cause I'm seriously wanting to do that. :lol:

5. Shevanel

Yessssss, besides my obsession with film, which you know about, I took a Film History course in college (when I was there xD) and it was uber cool. Be sure to cover important things like avante-garde cinema and shtuff from the early days. Like the Dadists and Surrealists who truly used film as art before it became more mainstream to use it for commercial entertainment as it is today. Meshes of the Afternoon. Un Chien Andalou. These were all key influences to film as it is today.

6. Holmes

History of film. Three times, in final year in school for history, for my history degree and for my politics masters, I had a project somewhat like this, where I had freedom to choose the title. On all three occasions, I changed the topic to another completely after a few months. So I think you're better off picking something that gives you more freedom to move around within the topic.

7. starfish

I enjoy history so I would write about the history of topic that I enjoy. For me I would write about the history of computers, cars or weightlifting.

Being in San Antonio I would recommend against writing about the Alamo. The reason is that will have been a default topic for a lot of people and the teacher will be tried of reading the same story over and over.

I've found that if you can draw the interest of the person reviewing your work you'll get much better feedback, as they want to read it.

8. InaRut

Seriously some of my favourite classes in University (I'm a film major) were my film history one. For my final project in a film history class I wrote about Dutch cinema and had an awesome time!

If you're really big into film I suggest taking a stab at film history. Try writing about the paramount decree cause it's a pretty big step in the evolution of american cinema. Or watch the movie Celluloid Closet and use it as inspiration to study sexuality in film.

:-> I'm a film freak. Sorry

9. Miss Modular

History of Film.

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It already sounds like you want to do the film one more. So...film. :slight_smile:

11. Porphyrogenitus

I wouldn't do the Alamo, cause it was a fairly short and ultimately insignificant historical event. Something else historical might work if you wanted to, but try and make it something less well known, so that your teacher is a) interested and learning and b) unable to pick up any faults in your research or analysis.

History of film could also work, but be more specific than that: for the same reasons as above, and because you get to have greater depth in what you say.